Oh yummy. I had some pasta left over and some Italian sausage that I bought recently that needed to be used up, so looking in my cupboards this is what I threw together and it worked an absolute treat. Super tasty and filling.
Makes 2 servings
100g pasta (of your choice)
50g spiced italian sausage (any of your choice)
4/5 mushrooms – sliced
handful of piccolo tomates (or cherry if you have) – sliced in half
Cheesy White Sauce (find my recipe here)
- Cook pasta as per instructions
- Gently fry the sausage, tomatoes and mushrooms in a pan
- Drain the pasta the add the sausage, mushroom and tomatoes to the pasta pan then pour over the sauce and mix through.
- Serve. Yummy quick 10 minute meal.
I add some extra dried chillies to mine (optional)
Roux (pronounced “roo”) is one of the basic thickening agents in cooking. Used primarily for bulk up sauces and soups but you can also use this for White Sauces, great for pasta’s which is what I made.
You can add in any flavours or extra ingredients you like which makes it a really good base recipe.
It is usually equal amounts of butter and flour by weight.
40g Plain Flour
250ml or about 1/2 pint of milk (for a thick sauce) more if you want thinner
- Firstly melt the butter in a pan on a medium to high heat
- The sieve the flour into the pan and whisk together until you get a smooth like paste
- Cook for about 2 minutes to get the taste of flour away
- Gradually add in the milk, little at a time, whisking continuously until you get a thickened sauce with no lumps.
This is your basic white sauce recipe or you can then add your flavours:-
For mine I added, salt, pepper to taste. Then I added 40g of smoked scamorza cheese as I wanted a lovely smokey cheese sauce for my pasta dish. You can of course add in any cheese or any herbs, spices etc.