This is a Scottish Traditional Dish, made up of mainly Potatoes, onion & cabbage. I love this dish it is such a warming comfort food dish but healthy and nutritious. It was chilly & wet here today, so this was the perfect dish to go with my chicken tonight.
250g potatoes – skin on and cut into small chunks
200g Turnip – cut into small chunks
1 white onion – finely sliced
1/2 green cabbage – finely sliced
Salt & Rainbow pepper (or black pepper)
1 egg yolk
40g low fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200 deg
- Place the potatoes and turnip in a large pan salted boiling water and gently boil until slightly softened.
- Meanwhile, spray a fry pan with low fat oil and cook the onion & cabbage until softened and slightly browned.
- Once potatoes etc have softened, drain and add the the cabbage pan, mix and gently mash, not too much as your still want some chunks.
- Decant into an oven proof dish and mix with the egg yolk, season with salt & pepper and sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve. Yummy! (A little splash of Worcestershire Sauce with this is amazing also)