This little dish was super tasty with a little kick, perfect for a Saturday night dinner. My ultimate favourite is 1 pan cooking (well kinda..lol), don’t you just love throwing everything in to 1 pot, easy cooking, less washing up….lol!
We served this with a glass of Chardonnay and it went perfectly well.
6-8 Beef Meatballs (sliced in half)
150g pasta (I used wholewheat Fusilli)
200g tin tomatoes
75g chopped chorizo (good quality, we love Picante)
1 red onion (chopped)
1 red pepper (chopped)
1 carrot (chopped)
1 garlic clove (crushed)
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried basil (I would recommend using fresh, but unfortunately I didn’t have any)
1 chopped chilli or 1 tsp dried chillies
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp sugar
Salt & Pepper to season
Parmesan to garnish
- First bring to the boil a pan of salted water and cook pasta for about 8-10 minutes, Save about 1/2 cup of the pasta water, drain pasta and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, add the meatballs & chorizo and brown all over. When browned remove with a slotted spoon and put to the side.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil and add the peppers, onions, carrots, garlic and thyme and gently cook until slightly tender.
- Return the meatballs and chorizo back to the pan, add the sauce and bring to a simmer for a few minutes until meatballs are cooked through.
- Then add the pasta to the pan along with the remaining pasta water and simmer for a further 5 minutes to warm through.
- Serve with some grated parmesan and chopped basil. Yummy!
Delicious little Saturday night dish (or any night for that matter) I also used corn tortillas and made my own salsa to keep the fat and calories lower. I am on a mission this year to eat a little healthier and try new ideas and flavours. This is packed with flavour and filling too.
You could of course use Tacos instead of wraps.
Makes enough for about 6 wraps
For the chicken:-
2 large chicken breasts
1 tin chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp Taco Seasoning (see below)
For the Salsa:-
2 tomatoes – chopped
1 onion – chopped
1 lime juice of
2 tsp dried coriander
1 tsp sea salt
Sour Cream to taste
1 tbsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
Add all above to a little jar and mix. Store in cupboard.
- Place a little oil in a pan on medium heat
- Coat the chicken with the Taco Seasoning about 1 large tbsp per breast and gently colour the chicken in the pan.
- Add in the tin tomatoes to the pan with the chicken, cover and slow cook on a low heat for about 4 hours.
- Meanwhile make the salsa by adding the chopped tomatoes, chopped onion, salt, coriander and lime juice in a bowl and mix together. Store in fridge until needed.
- About 1/2 hour before about to serve, take 2 forks and shred the chicken in the pan. Continue to cook uncovered for about 1/2 hour, this helps thicken the sauce.
- Warm up your tortillas as per instructions on packet, place on a plate.
- Spread a thin layer of sour cream, place some shredded chicken on top, then some tomato salsa then another little dollop of sour cream, wrap and devour! Yummy!
You could also add in a little avocado or some grated cheese.
I just love omelettes, one of my favourite quick and healthy meals, breakfast, lunch or dinner its one of those versatile foods and always staple ingredients in your cupboard. You can pretty much put anything in an omelette and it’ll taste great.
This is one of my favourites:-
6 cherry tomatoes – halved
handful of spinach
1 mushroom sliced
Salt & pepper to taste
- Lightly oil frying pan
- Add in tomatoes, mushroom and spinach, cook for a minute
- Whisk up eggs with seasoning and pour over, cook on medium heat for about 4-5 mins or until bubbling, turn and cook for 1 min more.
- Serve. Yummy!
Here are my other favourites:-
Tomato and avocado
Ham & mushroom
Cheese & Ham
Spinach and bacon
Haggis and tomato
Spring onion & Feta cheese
Avocado and mushroom
Sundried tomato and Chorizo
This is so yummy and goes with just about anything I think.
Makes 4 servings
Handful of cherry tomatoes – halved
1 onion – chopped finely
1 clove Garlic
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp tomato paste
Salt & pepper
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan – high heat, add the onion and the pancetta, cook until onion is softened down
- Add in the cherry tomatoes, garlic, tomato paste, salt & pepper and sugar, mix through, cook for about 5-7 mins. Any liquid should thicken.
Well…I have to say when I read about this I was a bit uncertain, but as per usual my curiosity got the better of me…….well what can I say…..it just went and worked didn’t it! A perfect folded omelette! Here goes:-
2 small to medium Eggs (if using large you may need to increase cooking time.)
1 Ziplock Bag – good one (cheap one might leak)
1 chopped mushroom
1 sliced small tomato
Handful of grated cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Spray inside the bag with oil to prevent from sticking.
- Crack the eggs in….no need to whisk up.
- Add in your ingredients…..of course you can add anything you like, I made it simple yet tasty.
- Gently rub with your hands to coat all round and break the yolks. Remove any air from the bag gently and seal.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and place bag in and boil rapidly for 8 minutes. Then reduce to a simmer for about 2-3 minutes.
- Gently remove and open bag, roll onto a plate and serve…….oh WOW!
Handful of King Prawns
Handful of Mussels
Handful of Crayfish
100g Tin tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato passata
1 Chilli – diced
1 clove garlic – chopped
1 tsp Brown Sugar
1 splash of white wine (approx 30ml)
Handful of Basil – chopped
Wholegrain Rice Vermicelli
1. Heat some oil in a pan and heat through the prawns, crayfish and mussels for a few minutes along with the chilli and garlic.
2. Add in the tomatoes, tomato passata, white wine and Brown sugar reduce the heat to a simmer, and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile place Vermicelli in a bowl and cover with boiling water, let sit for 4 minutes.
4. Drain the vermicelli and add to the seafood tomato mix then add the basil, cook for a further minute.
5. Serve with a lovely glass a Chardonnay.
Serves 2 or 1 if your hungry! Calories per serving 135, Fat 6g 2.1g sat. fat, Carbs 12g, Protein 9g.
1 cup or about 1 large handful kale
2 eggs, 1 egg white
50ml skimmed milk
salt and pepper to season
8 cherry tomatoes
20g cheddar cheese (grated) or you can use whichever you prefer
1 teaspoon oregano
1. Preheat oven to 190 deg. Lightly fry Kale and tomatoes in a shallow pan for about 6-8 mins.
2. Meanwhile whisk eggs, white, milk, salt, pepper and oregano together.
3. Transfer Kale and tomatoes into an oven ready dish, approx 8″ diameter.
4. Add grated cheese on top evenly and pour in egg mixture evenly.
5. Bake in oven for about 20 mins. Serve. Yummy!
You could use black peppercorn instead of pepper or even add in some paprika for that extra flavour.