I used my original swiss roll recipe for this and just changed the colours and filling.
For the orange and black one I piped circles onto the baking sheet like a chequered board and then dragged a toothpick through the two colours to create the pattern.
The other was just strips of colours.
The chocolate orange filling was chocolate Whipped Cream frosting with orange juice & zest through.
120g whipping cream
100g powdered sugar
75 g cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 orange zested and juiced.
They do create a lovely bright addition to your halloween table.
This is the first time I have tried a swiss roll ad thought I would challenge myself. Christmas is coming so I wanted to do something different, so why not play with stripes?
I have to admit I found this rather easy to do.
Makes 1 roll (avg 10 slices)
2 eggs, 3 egg yolks
100 grams caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
30 grams sifted self raising flour
3 egg whites
1 tablespoon sugar
Colouring. Green & Red.
Whipping cream with 1 tsp vanilla ext.
- Heat the oven to 200C on fan.
- Line a sheet pan. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add the 2 eggs, 3 egg yolks and caster sugar. With the paddle attachment on, beat on medium to high speed around 5 minutes until pale in colour and thickened. Add the vanilla extract and beat few more seconds.
- Sift the flour over the egg yolks mixture and with a spatula gently fold it in.
- In a separate grease-free bowl, add the 2 egg whites and 1 tablespoon of sugar. With a whisk, whip until firm peaks form.
- With the spatula, fold the whipped egg whites into the egg yolks mixture.
- Pour the cake batter into 3 separate bowls and add the colouring. DON’T OVERMIX. Put into piping bags and pipe each colour by one onto backing sheet. Bake for about 10 mins or until springy.
- As soon as you remove the cake from the oven turn onto a sheet of greaseproof paper. Remove the parchment paper from the cake slowly. Then turn over onto a clean Tea towel and roll up. Allow to cool completely.
- Whisk the Whipped cream and vanilla in a bowl until thick.
- Spread the rasperberry jam onto the cake and then the cream and roll. Roll up with cling film and chill for 30 mins -1 hour – makes it easier to cut.