This was so delicious and filling. Best of all very healthy & nutritious.
I think I am starting to enjoy this Detox week….lol!
Makes enough for 4 portions.
200ml vegetable stock
2 tsp dried garlic
1 tsp dried chilli
1 tbsp ginger
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp coriander
1 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp olive oil
1 can chopped tomatoes 400g
300-400g butternut squash – peeled and chopped into chunks
200g Red lentils – cooked
- Blend onion, veg stock, garlic, chilli, ginger, tomatoes, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric and coriander into a paste.
- Heat the oil in a pan and cook the paste for about 5-10 mins.
- Add in the butternut squash and cook on a medium heat for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile cook the lentils as per pack instructions.
- After 20 mins mix in the lentils and spinach to the squash mix and heat for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove and serve. Yummy!
Oh Yum…yum…this wee dish was so tasty. Using up my home grown potatoes this little throw together dish was perfect and healthy too.
I made some of my homemade Chapati’s , which went perfectly. Oh…and a wee glass of Chardonnay too! lol!
1 can chickpeas
6 charlotte potatoes, cut into cubes
100g baby Spinach
1 can plum tomatoes
1 tsp cumin
1 onion, chopped finely
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp dried garlic
1 tsp chilli seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp gram masala
1 tsp dried coriander
1 tsp olive oil/fry oil
- Heat the oil in a saute pan, add the onion and cumin fry until the onion is golden. Add the garlic, ginger, chilli’s, coriander, turmeric, gram masala and chilli powder and cook for five minutes.
- Add in the cubed potatoes and fry until potato is slightly browned, season.
- Add in the plum tomatoes, chop up and mix thoroughly.
- Now add in the chickpeas and mix through, simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Throw in the spinach and cover with a lid to help wilt down. (roughly 5 minutes)
- Serve with Chapati or some rice.
Oh yum….that’s all I’m going to say.
I do love one pot meals, quick and easy cooking, especially on a Friday…..you’ve just finished work, weather is awful outside and you just need some home comforts and home comfort food. This is one of my go to recipes just for that occasion. Serve with a chilled glass of chardonnay and its perfection friday.
100g pasta – I used pasta twists but you can use any type
2 chicken breasts – cut into bite size pieces
200g Smoked Bacon Lardons
1 white onion – chopped finely
salt & pepper
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 tsp spiced red pepper
low cal spray oil
1 cup milk (about 150ml)
1 large handful of grated cheese (I used cheddar), it is also delicious with parmesan.
- Spray a little oil in a pan. Fry off the bacon until slightly crispy, add the onion and fry until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Fry the chicken until browned all over.
- Add back to the pan the bacon and onion, add the garlic, red pepper, salt & pepper and mix through.
- Add in the spinach and mix until slightly wilted
- Pour in the milk and bring to the boil, then reduce slightly and simmer until pasta is cooked about 10-12 mins.
- Add in the cheese and mix through until melted.
This was Inspired by Jamie Oliver’s 5 Ingredient Programme. It looked and sounded too good not to try. However, I decided to put my own slight twist to it. This dish is so yummy and very filling too.
I think I’m going to try it next with Red pesto and chilli. Mmmmmmmm!
4 Chicken Breasts
1 Roll Puff Pastry
4 tbsp Green Pesto
1 egg for wash
Bag of baby spinach
Sat & pepper to season
Cherry tomatoes or vine.
- Preheat oven to 220 deg. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Firstly flatten out chicken breasts with a rolling pin, just so the fattest part is even with rest of the chicken as you want it to cook evenly through.
- Slice each chicken breast horizontally and stuff with some spinach leaves.
- Cut the puff pastry lengthways once, then vertically 6 times to make 14 small rectangles.
- Spoon 1 tbsp of pesto onto the chicken breast and place onto the backing sheet.
- Take the puff pastry strips and wrap around the chicken, overlapping each time. Brush with egg wash.
- Place the chicken breasts on the centre shelf (No.3) then place the tomatoes in a pan on shelf level below (No. 1). Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile steam cook the rest of the spinach. (3 minutes)
- Slice the chicken breasts and serve…….yummy!
I just love fresh pasta, ever since I got my new pasta attachment for my Kitchen Aid Machine I’ve never bought dried pasta again. Having to use up some pesto I had left, this little dish was the result. The sun dried tomatoes just added that little extra flavour.
For the pasta:
275g ‘OO’ Grade Pasta Flour
3 large eggs
- Sift the flour into the large bowl on Kitchen Aid mixer or work surface.
- Make a well in the middle. Crack one egg in and whisk gently.
- Gently with your hands start to incorporate the flour starting at the bottom, once it starts to come together crack the 2nd egg, then the 3rd until it becomes sticky.
- Using the dough hook on the mixer, knead together until you get a smooth like dough. Remove, cover with cling film and leave for about 1 hour.
- Attach the pasta attachment, cut the pasta dough into 4 sections.
- Flatten dough with hand then feed through the pasta maker, No. 1 x 5, No. 3 x 2, No. 5/6 x 1
- Change attachment to fettuccine and feed through. Hang until ready to cook.
- Heat a large pan of slightly salted water and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Strain
For the toppings:
2 chicken breasts
1/4 jar sundried tomatoes
3 tbsp green pesto
Handfuls of Broccoli & Baby Spinach
- I steam cooked my chicken, broccoli and Spinach. (8 minutes for chicken, 3 minutes for veg)
- Slice chicken into bite size pieces.
- Place pasta into a bowl with chicken, broccoli, spinach and sundried tomatoes, spoon the pest into the bowl and mix through until chicken and pasta is coated.
- Serve. Yummy!
- For extra spice you could add in some chilli.
If you have read my last few posts, you will know I got a massive 2.5kg bag of potatoes for 29p last week……I know right….so cheap! So my task this week was to use them all…lol! Today I had to use up some leftover vegetables so I decided on pesto Potatoes……this was so delicious, nutritious and a filling meal.
4 Maris piper potatoes – cut into bite size pieces (I left skin on, more flavour)
Handful or Broccoli
Salt & pepper
Green Pesto – 3 tbsps (see recipe below)
clove of garlic crushed
Fresh Basil – large bunch
handful of pine nuts – about 100g
Parmesan Cheese – grated
- Place garlic and basil leaves in a blender and pulse until chopped
- Add in the pine nuts (toasted) and parmesan and pulse to blend
- Slowly add in some olive oil, just enough to bring it all together, then squeeze in the lemon juice. Serve.
- Cook potatoes through until soft, you can either boil or steam cook, 4 minutes before you think they are ready, pour in some peas to the potatoes and simmer.
- Meanwhile, Steam cook your broccoli and spinach for 3 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and put into a large bowl, add in the spinach and broccoli
- Spoon 3 heaped tbsp of pesto and mix through, season
- Serve into a bowl or plate and top with some pine nuts for extra crunch.
Looking for healthier and more nutritious alternatives are always on my to do list, I came across this recipe from The Kitchn , I changed it up a little to my own flavours but this was truly delicious and filling.
Spray fry oil
1 bag (100g) baby spinach
1 Clove of garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp chilli flakes
pinch salt & pepper
4 large or 8 small tortillas
1 tin (400g) of refried beans (I always use Old el paso…I just love them)
1 Red Pepper, finely chopped
1 small tin of sweetcorn, drained
150g Cheddar Cheese, Grated
- Heat the oil in a large fry pan over a medium heat. Add the red pepper and sweetcorn with the garlic and chilli and cook for a few minutes.
- The add the spinach and cook until wilted. Season.
- Remove from pan. Heat through the refried beans for about 4 minutes then remove from pan, set aside.
- Place the tortillas on a flat surface and start to assemble. Spoon the refried beans on covering half of the tortilla, then the cheese, then the spinach mix the fold in half.
- Wipe the fry pan with a dry cloth and place each tortilla in pan a cook on each side for about 2-3 minutes until browned and crispy. Repeat until all cooked.
- Remove and cut the quesadillas in half and serve. Yummy!