Always seen this but never tried it, really don;t know why as I love every ingredient that’s involved. This recipe was inspired by J.O., after watching him on TV I decided to give it a go and I have to say it was absolutely delicious. It is normally classed as a breakfast item however we decided to have it for dinner, yummy and so tasty and filling.
Makes enough for 2
2 x Smoked Haddock pieces
2 x eggs
2 x Bay Leaves
2 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp turmeric
Thumb size ginger – chop small pieces or 1 tsp powdered ginger
1 Red Chilli – chopped
4 Spring onions – chopped
Handful coriander – chopped
150ml natural yoghurt
1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
1 packet of pre cooked wholemeal rice (used this for quickness)
Handful of peas
- Bring large pan of water to boil, place smoked haddock, eggs and bay leaves and simmer for 10 mins.
- Heat up a large fry pan to medium heat and add in mustard seeds, turmeric, ginger, chilli, spring onions, coriander and cook for few mins.
- Add the precooked rice to fry pan, then add in the peas, squeeze lemon juice in and stir to mix through. Cook for 5 mins.
- Remove fish and eggs from pan, remove egg shells and flake fish on a chopping board, the fish should easily come away.
- Mix the yoghurt and sweet chilli in a small bowl and put to side.
- Put the fish into the fry pan and mix through.
- Serve kedgeree onto plates and slice egg in half and place onto of rice to serve. Serve with the yoghurt mix to the side as an option. Yummy!