Yummy little dish, I got this recipe from Pinch of Nom and added my own stamp to it. I do love one pot cooking and especially slow cooking too, it is sometimes so good just to put something in the oven and carry on with your daily tasks. This was slow cooked for 5 hours and was delicious. A really good simple throw together meal.
Makes 2 large servings
300g Scottish beef mince
300g tin tomatoes
60g chopped chorizo
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 carrot, diced
1 red onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 stick celery, diced
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 beef stock cube crumbled
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
100g dried wholemeal pasta
150ml boiling water
40g low fat cheddar
Salt & pepper
- Set your oven to slow cook setting if you have one, if not this can be done in a slow cooker on med-high setting.
- Firstly brown the mince in a pan with salt, pepper and garlic then remove and place into an oven proof dish
- Next add in all the other ingredients with the exception of the pasta, cheese and boiling water, cover and bake for 4.5 hours
- Add in the pasta and boiling water to the dish and mix through, bake for a further 30 minutes or until pasta is cooked through.
- 10 minutes before ready, sprinkle on the cheese and allow to melt through.
- Serve. Yummy!
Oh this was rather tasty too, another recipe spied on the Eating well website. Again I slightly adjusted flavour to my own liking & this was very filling and healthy.
2 Chicken Breasts
1 can 400g cannellini beans – drained
400ml chicken stock
1 white onion – sliced
1 carrot – sliced
1 yellow pepper – sliced
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp Italian Herbs mix (thyme, basil, oregano,red bell pepper, marjoram, sage, parsley)
1 tbsp lemon juice
Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat a little oil in a large pan and gently fry the onions and pepper
- Add the chicken breasts and brown all over for a few minutes.
- Add in the beans, chicken stock, seasoning, rosemary, italian herbs and mix, bring to the boil then reduce to a very low simmer. Simmer with lid on for about 4-5 hours.
- 1/2 hour before serving take 2 forks and shred the chicken, next add in the kale and continue to simmer.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice into pan mix then serve with some lovely fresh bread.
I do love a good roast on a Sunday, my choice today was a good beef brisket. I haven’t tried this piece of meat before and decided to slow cook. It was so delicious.
1 x Beef Brisket – I used 1kg size
2 Red Onions – sliced into wedges
150m Beef Broth
2 tbsp Worcester sauce
1 tbsp Soy sauce
3 garlic cloves – minced
Salt & pepper to season
1 tbsp oil
- Saute the red onions in a little oil on medium heat for about 20 minutes, remove from heat
- Pat dry the brisket and rub salt & pepper all over
- Heat a little oil in a fry pan to a high heat and sear the meat on both sides until browned.
- Mix together beef broth, Worcester sauce and soy sauce.
- Place the beef into a casserole dish (or slow cooker), pour the garlic and the red onions over the meat the pour the sauce mixture.
- Place the casserole dish in the oven on the Slow Cooker Setting for approx 8 hrs.
- Remove from oven and slice up meat or pull apart, serve with onions and sauce.