Yummy little dish, I got this recipe from Pinch of Nom and added my own stamp to it. I do love one pot cooking and especially slow cooking too, it is sometimes so good just to put something in the oven and carry on with your daily tasks. This was slow cooked for 5 hours and was delicious. A really good simple throw together meal.
Makes 2 large servings
300g Scottish beef mince
300g tin tomatoes
60g chopped chorizo
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 carrot, diced
1 red onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 stick celery, diced
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 beef stock cube crumbled
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
100g dried wholemeal pasta
150ml boiling water
40g low fat cheddar
Salt & pepper
- Set your oven to slow cook setting if you have one, if not this can be done in a slow cooker on med-high setting.
- Firstly brown the mince in a pan with salt, pepper and garlic then remove and place into an oven proof dish
- Next add in all the other ingredients with the exception of the pasta, cheese and boiling water, cover and bake for 4.5 hours
- Add in the pasta and boiling water to the dish and mix through, bake for a further 30 minutes or until pasta is cooked through.
- 10 minutes before ready, sprinkle on the cheese and allow to melt through.
- Serve. Yummy!
O.M.G! This little dish was delicious, rich and very tasty. Saw this on a social media video, my salavating at the video simply meant I had to give it a go. Changed the recipe slightly to suit our tastes.
Makes for 2
2 sirloin steaks – sliced into 1cm strips
2 tbsp plain flour
Salt & pepper to taste
1 large red onion
2 garlic cloves crushed
1 tsp chilli flakes
200ml beef stock
100ml red wine (I used shiraz)
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 large handfuls of grated cheddar
2 large handfuls of french fries
- Heat a little oil in a fry pan to a medium to high heat
- Place the steak strips into the pan and brown all over, add the flour, salt & pepper until coated and soaked up the juices then remove and set aside.
- Place another tbsp of oil in the pan and cook the onion with the garlic until softened.
- Add in the tomato paste, chilli flakes, beef stock & red wine, gently bring to boil then reduce to a very low simmer.
- Add back to the pan the beef strips and cook slow for about 1 hour (pan covered).
- Remove pan lid 10 minutes before serving and bring heat up a little to thicken the sauce if needed.
- Meanwhile, cook the french fries as per packet instructions.
- Place the fries on a plate, top with the cheese and melt under a hot grill for a few seconds then top with the beef strips….Serve. Oh so yummy!
It definitely makes a difference if you’ve got some good quality meat and cheese.
Delicious little Saturday night dish (or any night for that matter) I also used corn tortillas and made my own salsa to keep the fat and calories lower. I am on a mission this year to eat a little healthier and try new ideas and flavours. This is packed with flavour and filling too.
You could of course use Tacos instead of wraps.
Makes enough for about 6 wraps
For the chicken:-
2 large chicken breasts
1 tin chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp Taco Seasoning (see below)
For the Salsa:-
2 tomatoes – chopped
1 onion – chopped
1 lime juice of
2 tsp dried coriander
1 tsp sea salt
Sour Cream to taste
1 tbsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
Add all above to a little jar and mix. Store in cupboard.
- Place a little oil in a pan on medium heat
- Coat the chicken with the Taco Seasoning about 1 large tbsp per breast and gently colour the chicken in the pan.
- Add in the tin tomatoes to the pan with the chicken, cover and slow cook on a low heat for about 4 hours.
- Meanwhile make the salsa by adding the chopped tomatoes, chopped onion, salt, coriander and lime juice in a bowl and mix together. Store in fridge until needed.
- About 1/2 hour before about to serve, take 2 forks and shred the chicken in the pan. Continue to cook uncovered for about 1/2 hour, this helps thicken the sauce.
- Warm up your tortillas as per instructions on packet, place on a plate.
- Spread a thin layer of sour cream, place some shredded chicken on top, then some tomato salsa then another little dollop of sour cream, wrap and devour! Yummy!
You could also add in a little avocado or some grated cheese.
O.M.G……if you love peanut butter and chicken you will love this…….even more so when the chicken just tears apart after being slow cooked……..melt in your mouth heaven.
Makes 2 servings
2 chicken breasts
2 tbsp peanut butter (smooth or crunchy…your choice)
1 tsp honey
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp chilli paste
1/2 cup almond milk
1 red pepper – chopped
Salt & pepper to season
handful of coriander finely chopped for garnish
2 tbsp chopped peanuts for garnish
- Add peanut butter, honey, soy sauce, garlic, chilli paste and almond milk to an ovenproof dish or slow cooker and whisk until sauce is well combined.
- Place seasoned chicken breasts and peppers into dish and cover with the sauce. Cook on Slow Cooker setting for about 7.5 hours.
- Remove from oven and shred chicken with 2 forks, then return to the oven for a further 1/2 hour.
- Serve with your favourite rice and garnish with coriander and peanuts. YUMMY!