Sloppy Joes is a traditional United States Dish and usually served on a Brioche Bun, but as I’m always looking for healthier options, this little alternative was simply superb and still very very tasty without the carb guilt. Thanks to PON again for another fab recipe.
1 onion finely chopped
2 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 green pepper, finely chopped
400g 5% fat scotch minced beef
1 tsp mustard powder
3 tbsp worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
sea salt & rainbow pepper
1 red pepper cut lengthways
1 yellow pepper cut lengthways
40g reduced fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 200 deg.
- Spray a fry pan with a little oil and heat to medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic & green pepper and cook until softened, about 5 minutes
- Add in the minced beef, turn up heat slightly and cook mince until browned
- Then add in the mustard powder, worcestershire sauce, tomato puree, red wine vinegar and water, turn heat down and cook for about 5 minutes, season with salt & pepper
- Divide the beef mixture between to pepper halves, scatter the cheese over and bake in oven for about 10 minutes.
- Serve. Yummy!
This is not only lovely and tasty but healthy too…..I know your thinking egg fried rice? healthy? but I have used low fat cooking spray and basmati and quinoa rice!
2 x peppers (colours of your choice)
30g Basmati and Quinoa Rice (I used Tilda..my fav!)
small handful of sweetcorn
few cubes of feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 220 deg and roast peppers for about 25 mins.
- Meanwhile, bring to the boil a pan of water and cook the rice on high simmer for about 25 mins. The last 5 mins add in your sweetcorn to heat through.
- Spray the pan with a little oil and add the eggs, you much constantly stir or it will stick, you want a scrambled effect.
- Drain the rice mixture and add to the egg, mix together heating gently for a few mins. Season with pepper.
- Remove from heat and take our your peppers, stuff the peppers with the mixture and sprinkle on some feta cheese.
Yummy lunch or side dish.
Serves 2 – Approx 90 calories per serving.
1 red, green, yellow pepper
1 tbsp tomato paste
100ml Vegetable stock
1 tbsp paprika
1. Cut the peppers into quarters lengthways, place in a baking tin and drizzle a little olive oil then sprinkle the paprika over top.
2. Preheat the oven to 220 deg and roast peppers for 30 mins.
3. Meanwhile bring to boil the vegetable stock and add the couscous, reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 mins. Then remove from heat, cover and let sit for 10 mins.
4. Remove peppers from oven and let cool. Once cool chopped up finely.
5. Using a fork break up the couscous and add in the peppers. Add the tomato paste and stir through. Then serve.