You know by now that I love my One Pot meals and this is another that is so easy & so tasty. I decided to use my Steam pot and it cooked perfectly in just 20 minutes. Yummy Spicy flavours and full of nutritious benefits.
Makes 2 large portions or 4 side portions
1 can black beans
1/2 can red kidney beans
1/2 can sweetcorn
1 red onion – finely chopped
150g wholemeal brown long grain rice
300ml veg stock
2 heaped tbsp chopped tomato
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp dried chillies
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
salt to taste
- Place everything in the steam pot and mix together. Put lid on.
- Place into your combi microwave and select Recipes, Pasta & Rice, Rice then programme 20 minutes.
- Perfectly cooked mexican rice dish. You can serve this on its own or with some pitta breads or even in a wrap.
This was originally a slimming world recipe I found but thought it needed more flavour so I added my own spin on it. It was very delicious, if I do say so myself, and very filling.
I made some wholemeal baguettes to go with it too which went perfectly for soaking up the left over sauce on the plate.
6 Chorizo Style Sausages
3 sweet peppers – chopped
1 tsp garlic granules
1 tsp dried chillies
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
150ml chicken stock
250g red kidney beans (or any other bean can be used)
4 spring onions – chopped
150g red lentils
knob of butter
Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Spray a large pan with little oil on medium to high heat, gently fry the garlic, peppers and onion for a few minutes.
- Add in the sausages and brown all over, about 5-10 minutes
- Meanwhile put red lentils into a pan and add about 5cm water, bring to the boil, once boiling remove the white foam then add the knob of butter and mix through, remove from heat.
- Add into the pan with sausages and vegetables the chilli, paprika, worcestershire sauce, passata, stock, beans and lentils then mix through. Gently bring to boil then reduce to a medium simmer for about 20 minutes.
- If sauce is still too runny, bring to boil and boil gently for about 5 minutes until it thickens.
- Slice the sausages diagonally into thirds.
- Garnish with some parsley and serve.
Tonight I was using up leftovers, I hate seeing any food go to waste….lol!
With a sweet potato and 1/2 can of mixed beans, I decided on a burgers, my first time at a sweet potato burger too. It was absolutely delicious.
1 sweet potato
1/2 can of mixed beans ( I used five bean salad)
1/2 garlic clove
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
1/2 tsp ground smoked paprika
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp salt
black pepper and nutmeg to taste
1 tsp maple syrup
2 tbsp flour to help bind
1 tsp sesame seeds
- Cook the sweet potato, you can roast in an oven or boil them, I preferred to steam cook them as it keeps more of the flavour in. I used my fabulous Steam Accessory I got with my new Hotpoint oven. Only took 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, empty the beans and all the spices into a bowl and mix.
- Then add the cooked potato to the bowl – please allow the potato to cool first. Take a masher and mash up.
- Preheat the oil in a pan to medium heat.
- If the mixture is too wet, add in a little flour to help bind. Take handful of mixture and make into a burger like shape.
- Top with sesame seeds then cook for about 5 minutes on each.
- Serve. Yummy!