I got this little Jamie Olive cook book recently and have been trying out some recipes, which I have to say have been delicious. Tonight, I thought I would take my inspiration from Mr. JO but put my own twist to this. I have to say it was rather tasty…..Mmmmmm.
Using a combination of my Crisper plate and my steam pot, this little dish was made in under 20 minutes. Quick and easy meals.
80g Basmati & quinoa rice (I used Tilda)
2 x Scottish Salmon Fillets
4 tsp sweet chilli sauce (I always use Blue Dragon, I find they are the best)
2 tbsp sesame seeds
3 spring onions
1 fresh red chilli
60g sugar snap peas
4 springs of fresh coriander
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 lime (juice only)
80g smoked beetroot
- Place the basmati rice into the steam pot with 200ml water and cover, cook on the Automatic rice setting on microwave for 18 minutes. Remove and keep warm (keep lid on till other food is ready)
- Meanwhile, rub the sweet chilli sauce into the salmon then sprinkle the sesame seeds over making sure they stick by pressing slightly.
- Finely slice the spring onions, sugar snap peas, chilli then julienne the carrot, cucumber, beetroot using a julienne peeler (if not you can coarsely grate). Place all into a bowl with the coriander.
- Place the salmon (skin side down) onto the crisper plate and cook on dynamic crisp setting for 7 minutes or until slightly crispy and cooked.
- Pour the basmati rice into the salad bowl and mix through with the toasted sesame oil, lime juice and 2 tsp of sweet chilli sauce.
- Serve up the salad and place the salmon when ready on top. Amazing, Tasty little dish. Yummy!
This is not only lovely and tasty but healthy too…..I know your thinking egg fried rice? healthy? but I have used low fat cooking spray and basmati and quinoa rice!
2 x peppers (colours of your choice)
30g Basmati and Quinoa Rice (I used Tilda..my fav!)
small handful of sweetcorn
few cubes of feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 220 deg and roast peppers for about 25 mins.
- Meanwhile, bring to the boil a pan of water and cook the rice on high simmer for about 25 mins. The last 5 mins add in your sweetcorn to heat through.
- Spray the pan with a little oil and add the eggs, you much constantly stir or it will stick, you want a scrambled effect.
- Drain the rice mixture and add to the egg, mix together heating gently for a few mins. Season with pepper.
- Remove from heat and take our your peppers, stuff the peppers with the mixture and sprinkle on some feta cheese.
Yummy lunch or side dish.
Want to get more veg into your life, eat healthy without compromising on flavour? This little creation ticks all those boxes, lovely little dinner after my workout at the Spin Studio.
Makes 1 serving.
1 x Courgette
50g Brown Rice
70g tin tomatoes
Black Olives – Small Handful (about 5 halved)
1 tbsp Black Olive Tapenade
1 tbsp Olive oil
Squeeze of Lemon Juice
1 tsp garlic
Ground Black Pepper
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Basil
Salt to taste
- Pre heat oven to 210 deg.
- Slice Courgette in half and scoop out centre, place on baking tray and bake for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile cook Quinoa and rice as per packet, mix together
- Add in tin tomatoes and mix through, heat gently
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix through thoroughly.
- Remove courgette from oven and spoon mixture into the boats…..Serve! Yummy!
Approx calories 241 per serving.
2 Medium potatoes – peeled, chopped and cooked (boiled)
1/2 cup of quinoa – cooked (normally 20mins simmer and 10 mins rest)
1 large handful of Spinach – chopped very finely
4 basil leaves – chopped finely (or 1 tbsp dried)
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
1/2 tsp sesame seeds
1/2 tsp Thyme
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 tbsp Plain Flour
- Preheat oven to 200 deg.
- Mash up potatoes finely .
- Mix up Spinach, Basil, Thyme, Sesame Seeds, Lemon Juice into a paste.
- Then Mix in the potatoes and quinoa with 1 tbsp of plain flour and season, mix until you can form a ball shape with the mixture without sticking to your hands, add more flour if you need to.
- Roll the balls in some flour and place on an oiled baking sheet.
- Bake for approx 30-40 mins. (You may need to turn over half way through cooking)
- They will be slightly crunchy on outside and soft in the middle….serve on a bed of Steamed Spinach for extra healthyness! Yum!