I do love Lazy Sunday Mornings. I pulled back the curtains and the sun was shining again, lovely! I opted for a fueling healthy breakfast this morning, first time I’ve tried Spinach Pancakes and they were lovely.
Makes 2 Pancakes
30g Gram Flour (chickpea)
Pinch of sea salt
1/2 tsp garlic
2 handfuls of Spinach
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp coconut oil for frying.
- Add all the ingredients (except the coconut oil) to a blender and mix until smooth. The batter will be watery.
- Heat the coconut oil in a fry pan on medium heat
- Pour a thin layer of the batter into the pan and swirl, when you start to see it bubble, flip over and cook. The pancake is very light so I would toss rather than using utensils to flip over as it might tear.
- To serve, I chopped some avocado, feta cheese, tomatoes and topped with poached eggs. Yummy!
After my recent visit to Ireland and just had to try a proper Irish Potato Cake. They are also known as Fadge or Farl in Northern Ireland and Tattie Scones (potato scones) in Scotland. These are a traditional breakfast item.
Makes about 8
4 potatoes (preferably a starchy potato, such as russet)
3 tbsps plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
Salt & pepper to taste (I use rainbow peppers, more flavour)
1 tsp onion powder
30g melted irish butter
30g irish butter to cook with
- Cook and mash potatoes, leave to cool
- In a bowl mix the potatoes, flour, baking powder, onion powder, melted butter, salt & pepper into a soft dough like ball.
- Flour a work surface and gently flatten to about 1cm thick
- With a 3″ cutter, cut out circles.
- Heat up a fry pan with the butter or preheat the crisperplate for 2 minutes then add the butter.
- Place the potato cakes onto the plate or pan and cook for 3 minutes each side if using a fry pan, or 3 minutes on crisperplate, turn, then a further 2 minutes.
- Serve with breakfast items or with a delicious poached egg on top.
MICROWAVE POACHED EGGS
Use Microwave container and fill with boiled water (NO Vinegar)
Break eggs into water carefully
Set Microwave to 800w and programme 1min 20 secs
Cook and enjoy perfect runny poached eggs, serve on toast.