Sloppy Joes is a traditional United States Dish and usually served on a Brioche Bun, but as I’m always looking for healthier options, this little alternative was simply superb and still very very tasty without the carb guilt. Thanks to PON again for another fab recipe.
1 onion finely chopped
2 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 green pepper, finely chopped
400g 5% fat scotch minced beef
1 tsp mustard powder
3 tbsp worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
sea salt & rainbow pepper
1 red pepper cut lengthways
1 yellow pepper cut lengthways
40g reduced fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 200 deg.
- Spray a fry pan with a little oil and heat to medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic & green pepper and cook until softened, about 5 minutes
- Add in the minced beef, turn up heat slightly and cook mince until browned
- Then add in the mustard powder, worcestershire sauce, tomato puree, red wine vinegar and water, turn heat down and cook for about 5 minutes, season with salt & pepper
- Divide the beef mixture between to pepper halves, scatter the cheese over and bake in oven for about 10 minutes.
- Serve. Yummy!
Oh yes!……I know your looking at that and thinking jeezo that looks super tasty……and guess what you’d be right. Not only that, its only 492 Kcal per serving…..OMG! Tasty, Healthier, Lower in Calories and easy to make. Win! Win!
Another belter of a recipe from NOM!
3 Chicken Breasts – cut into strips, fat removed
2 yellow or red peppers thinly sliced
2 large onions thinly sliced
1 tbsp ground cumin
1/2 tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp mild chilli powder
1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
salt & pepper to taste
1 x 500g carton passata
1 x 400g kidney beans
2 x low calorie corn tortillas
70g low fat mozzarella
40g reduced fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 180 deg fan and line the base of a 24cm springform tin with baking paper
- Add the chicken strips to a low-medium heat fry pan and brown.
- Add in the peppers and onions and brown, then add in the spices and mix through until coated.
- Add in the passata and kidney beans and simmer for about 10-15 mins.
- Put a layer of the chicken mix into the springform tin, then layer with 1 of the tortillas, then another layer of chicken mix, then another tortilla then another layer of chicken mix. Top with chunks of mozzarella and sprinkle grated cheese over.
- Put into the oven for 25 minutes or until cheese is lovely and browned and bubbling. Serve.
Oh Yum! This was a recipe from my new fav cookbook by Pinch of nom. Quick & East to make, and vert tasty considering it is only 283 kcal per serving (excluding rice).
For the Meatballs
500g 5% fat minced scotch beef
1 tsp salt
pinch of black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
Handful of fresh parsley – finely chopped
70g reduced fat mozzarella – cut into 12 small pieces
For the Sauce
1 x 400g tin tomatoes – chopped
50g tomato paste
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp onion granules
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
1 tsp red wine vinegar
Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180 fan. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Mix all of the meatball ingredients in a bowl until well combined then divide into 12 equal pieces.
- Enclose 1 piece of mozzarella in each meat piece and roll into a ball, place meatballs onto the backing tray and bake for about 15 minutes.
- While meatballs are cooking, to make the sauce put all of the ingredients in a pan, bring to the boil and cook over a low-med heat for about 20 minutes.
- Blitz the sauce with a hand blender until smooth, season to taste and return to the pan, add the meatballs to the pan and stir well.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve. I served on a bed of wholemeal rice with peas. Yummy!