Well…O.M.G! This little dish is soooooooooo tasty, sooooooooooo moreish, soooooooooo naughty, but it is so good! I’ve been wanting to try this for a while now, so this weekend was that weekend. Happy Sunday morning breakfast. Inspired from Lil luna
Makes enough for about 4 large portions or 6 smaller portions
70g butter melted
140g light brown sugar, 30g from sprinkling
Bread with crusts cut off (I used plain bread)
5 eggs – medium
1 tsp vanilla essence
cinnamon as per your taste
2 tbsp butter (not melted)
Icing sugar for decoration (optional)
- Add the melted butter and brown sugar together and mix thoroughly
- Take a casserole dish approx 8 x 12″ and spread the sugar mix over the base
- Add a layer of your bread slices
- Whisk eggs, vanilla and milk together in a bowl, pour 1/2 the mixture over the bread.
- Sprinkle about 15g of the sugar and some cinnamon over
- Add another layer of bread slices and butter the slices.
- Pour the remaining egg mixture over and sprinkle with leftover sugar and cinnamon.
- Refrigerate overnight
- In the morning remove from fridge and bake in a preheated oven at 180 deg for approx 45 minutes.
- I popped under grill for a minute to gently crisp up and brown a bit more (optional)
- Drizzle a little icing sugar and Maple Syrup all over and devour!