Saturday lunch in my house today was Focaccia, although it turned out to much more like a pizza….lol…..I couldn’t decide on my toppings so just put it all in. Was absolutely delicious. (although note to self…….less toppings next time!)
I decided to try it using my crisper tray and it didn’t fail me, results were amazing in just 15 mins.
400g White bread flour
300ml warm milk
1 sachet 7g yeast
1 tsp of dried Italian herbs (or you can use a mix of garlic, oregano, thyme, basil and black pepper)
1 tbsp olive oil
Toppings of your choice………I used Mixed Piccolo tomatoes (halved), sliced roasted peppers, sauteed red onion, black olives, fresh basil leaves.
Salt & pepper to season
- Mix the yeast with the warm milk and leave for about 10 mins until it starts to froth.
- Mix the Flour, salt & herbs in a large mixing bowl
- Pour the milk into the flour and mix well. Knead dough for about 10 mins by hand or using a mixer for a few minutes until blended together into a dough.
- Let dough rise for about 1 hour. Use rising setting on Hotpoint oven.
- Preheat crisper plate for 2 minutes on Dynamic Crisp setting.
- Once dough has risen, place directly onto crisper plate and spread it out evenly to cover crisper plate.
- Place your toppings into the dough evenly and drizzle with a little oil
- Cook on dynamic crisp setting for 15 mins. (Or oven at 220deg for 20 mins)
I wanted to try something a bit different………………and isn’t it just amazing when it turns out delicious! I fancied Greek style but healthy and with a kick, so here is my Greek inspired lettuce sandwiches.
1 Red mini Cos Lettuce (or any lettuce of your choice)
1 tin of tuna in spring water
2 tbsp of black olives – halved
1/2 red onion – chopped finely
1 tsp of chilli flakes
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp mayonnaise low fat
1/2 avocado – sliced
- Mix tuna, olives, balsamic, chilli, mayo and onion together in a bowl
- Wash lettuce and place on a plate
- Top lettuce with the tuna mix and place avocado slices on top
- Place another lettuce leaf to close the sandwich and serve. Yum!
Beware if you are eating with your hands, you WILL get messy!
I have to admit this is still my favourite Salad, flavours are just so tasty and go with anything. So quick to put together too!
1 x Red Mini Cos Spanish Lettuce – sliced longways the halved (this is so crunchy and refreshing)……best lettuce in my books.
1 x carrot – sliced longways
1/2 cucumber – sliced longways
1/2 courgette – sliced longways
2 tbsp black olives sliced
4 small cherry or piccolo tomatoes – sliced halveways
2 tbsp lemon juice
big drizzle of Olive oil – good quality
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp sesame seeds to top
- Mix everything together – serve with anything or simply just eat on its own. Yummy!
World Whisky Day – 16th May 2015! What will your dram or delight be?
I visited the Brodie Countryfare this week and picked up this wee beauty, made in Dundee by the Whisky Sauce Company www.whiskysauce.co.uk it has loads of flavours and certainly packs a punch in your mouth. I couldn’t decided what to have with it, so really went for a mix up and it was absolutely delicious.
2 Handfuls of Spinach or alternative salad leaf
8-10 Green pitted olives
2 roasted red peppers – sliced
Handful of king prawns
Handful of Cooked Mussels
1 tsp red chillies
1 tbsp light mayo
1-2 tbsp of Scotch Whisky Dressing
1. Wash and place spinach in a bowl, add in sliced roasted red peppers and olives.
2. Meanwhile mix the prawns with the chillies and mayo then add to the bowl along with the mussels
3. Sprinkle in Scotch whisky dressing, mix well together and serve with a lovely chilled glass of Chardonnay.
Mixed leaves of choice, Grated Beetroot, Grated Carrot, Cherry tomatoes (halved), cucumber sliced, Feta cheese, Olives (your choice), 1 pomegranate, Olive oil and Balsamic Vinegar for dressing.
3/4 Aubergines (Halved)
1 garlic clove
Olive oil (2 tbsp)
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
6 tbsps Pistachio’s
Handful of fresh mint
250g natural yoghurt
1 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 220 deg.
2. Halved Aubergines longways, and make 1cm deep cuts diagonally about 2-3cm apart. Rub the garlic over the top of each one and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and bake in oven for approx 30-40 mins.
3. Mix up aubergines spices and dust over then cook for a further 5 mins.
4. For the yoghurt, mix pistachios, yoghurt, mint and olive oil in a blender until smooth. Set aside until ready.
5. Mix all salad ingredients in a bowl with dressing, serve onto a plate and sprinkle feta cheese over.
6. Cut pomegranate in half and carefully remove seeds, discarding any white pith, sprinkle seeds over salad.
7. Place baked Aubergines on top of salad and serve with the yoghurt dressing.