One again I had a truly different taste sensation when visiting Florida this year, pancake and Maple Syrup were everywhere….much to my boyfriends delight! You had them for brekkie with Maple Syrup, eggs, bacon etc and then again on the menu for dessert with ice cream and flavoured sauces……oh Yum! Here is my homemade version…inspired by (Denny’s).
Makes about 14 pancakes.
300g Plain White Flour ( to make it a bit healthier, you can use wholewheat instead)
4 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla essence
100g chocolate – to make sauce
1 jar Maple Syrup (your choice)
- Sieve the flour into a large bowl, add in Baking Powder, Salt, Cinnamon, Sugar and mix.
- Then add in eggs, milk and vanilla essence, mix through with spoon until blended making sure there are no lumps in he mixture, do not over mix.
3. Sprat a little cooking oil into a frying pan and heat through at high heat. Pour 1/2 a ladle or 1/2 cup of mixture onto the frying pan and even out with back of spoon, cook for approx 1-2 mins, you know it’s ready to turn when you see an even covering of holes.
4. Flip and cook for approx 1 min. Remove and continued to repeat until all done.
5. Keep warm in a warming drawer or in your oven at 70-80 degrees until finished.
6. If using Chocolate Sauce – break bar into chunks and put into a small pan, melt on Induction Hob Number 1 for about 5 mins. If using conventional method, melt in a glass bowl oven boiler water on hob.
6. Serve with Maple Syrup and Hot Chocolate Sauce……Mmmmmmmmmmm!!
I recently visited Florida on holiday and found my taste buds loving Waffles and Maple Syrup, a classic combo in America! Inspired by different flavours I put a twist on this fab and tasty dish.
For the chicken:–
2 Chicken Breasts
1 egg – beaten
Couple of Dashes of Tabasco Sauce
Salt & Pepper
2 Toasted Waffles
1 tsp coriander
For the Sauce:–
1 tsp olive oil
1 small garlic clove – crushed
200ml chicken stock
2-3 tbsp Maple Syrup
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp Chilli flakes or powder
1 tsp coriander
- Toast waffles and let cool, break into pieces and put into a food processor, blitz until you get fine breadcrumb pieces, lay baking sheet onto tray, pour waffle crumbs onto tray and bake in the oven for 4 mins at 180 deg.
2. Pat dry chicken pieces then season with salt and pepper. Beat egg with Tabasco sauce and pour into a flat dish, pour waffle crumbs into another flat dish and season with coriander. Take one piece of chicken breast at a time, first dipping in egg then into crumbs making sure they are fully covered. Lay back onto baking sheet.
3. Preheat oven to 180 deg and bake for approx 25-30 mins being careful not to over cook the crumb.
4. Meanwhile heat oil in a small pan and fry the garlic for about 1 min, then add chicken stock, vinegar, syrup, coriander and chilli, bring to the boil and allow to reduce by half (takes approx 5-7 mins). Put to the side to allow to thicken slightly.
5. Remove chicken from oven and serve with the spicy maple sauce……you can reheat the sauce in a microwave for 20 seconds if need to. Yum!
I love pancakes and was looking for a healthier option, these are really tasty.
Measurements for 1 pancake:- (per serving 203 calories, 9g fat = 4g sat, carbs 14g, protein 15g)
1.5tbsp oat bran
1.5tbsp cream cheese
1. Mix oat bran, cream cheese and egg together in a bowl.
2. Preheat a non-stick omelette pan or similar and pour in mix, spread evenly, flip over when bubbles start to appear, approx 2-3 mins, then cook for another 2-3 mins on other side.
3. Sere with your favorite toppings:- some suggestions:-
> Breakfast – Banana and walnuts with 1/2 tbsp agave syrup
> Breakfast – Low fat Bacon
> Breakfast – Scrambled or poached eggs with spinach
> Pudding – stewed fruit, cream cheese
> Pudding – Ice cream and tbsp maple syrup