Oh yes!……I know your looking at that and thinking jeezo that looks super tasty……and guess what you’d be right. Not only that, its only 492 Kcal per serving…..OMG! Tasty, Healthier, Lower in Calories and easy to make. Win! Win!
Another belter of a recipe from NOM!
3 Chicken Breasts – cut into strips, fat removed
2 yellow or red peppers thinly sliced
2 large onions thinly sliced
1 tbsp ground cumin
1/2 tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp mild chilli powder
1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
salt & pepper to taste
1 x 500g carton passata
1 x 400g kidney beans
2 x low calorie corn tortillas
70g low fat mozzarella
40g reduced fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 180 deg fan and line the base of a 24cm springform tin with baking paper
- Add the chicken strips to a low-medium heat fry pan and brown.
- Add in the peppers and onions and brown, then add in the spices and mix through until coated.
- Add in the passata and kidney beans and simmer for about 10-15 mins.
- Put a layer of the chicken mix into the springform tin, then layer with 1 of the tortillas, then another layer of chicken mix, then another tortilla then another layer of chicken mix. Top with chunks of mozzarella and sprinkle grated cheese over.
- Put into the oven for 25 minutes or until cheese is lovely and browned and bubbling. Serve.
Oh Yum! This was a recipe from my new fav cookbook by Pinch of nom. Quick & East to make, and vert tasty considering it is only 283 kcal per serving (excluding rice).
For the Meatballs
500g 5% fat minced scotch beef
1 tsp salt
pinch of black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
Handful of fresh parsley – finely chopped
70g reduced fat mozzarella – cut into 12 small pieces
For the Sauce
1 x 400g tin tomatoes – chopped
50g tomato paste
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp onion granules
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
1 tsp red wine vinegar
Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180 fan. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Mix all of the meatball ingredients in a bowl until well combined then divide into 12 equal pieces.
- Enclose 1 piece of mozzarella in each meat piece and roll into a ball, place meatballs onto the backing tray and bake for about 15 minutes.
- While meatballs are cooking, to make the sauce put all of the ingredients in a pan, bring to the boil and cook over a low-med heat for about 20 minutes.
- Blitz the sauce with a hand blender until smooth, season to taste and return to the pan, add the meatballs to the pan and stir well.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve. I served on a bed of wholemeal rice with peas. Yummy!
I know right!….low calorie doughnuts! O.M.G! Who knew? These are inspired by Tom Kerridge, I just needed to give these a go after seeing him bake these on TV, I have to say they are amazing, the flavour is fabulous and they are extremely light and fluffy too. At ONLY 120 CALORIES per Doughnut……..why would you not?? I have to say I was in heaven this afternoon……my fav Sunday afternoon treat….Fresh Coffee & Doughnuts! (no guilt)
250g Self Raising flour
180ml milk – semi-skimmed
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp chinese five spice
1/2 tsp dried yeast
1 egg beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Gently heat the milk, butter and vanilla extract in a saucepan on hob. (do not boil)
- In a mixer, sift the flour, 1 tbsp sugar (keep 1 tbsp back for finishing), cinnamon, chinese five spice and yeast, mix together.
- Add in the egg to the flour and mix then add in the milk mixture and mix until you get a thick batter.
- If you have a doughnut tray…..brilliant! If not, (like me) spoon the mixture into a piping bag and grease a baking tray.
- Gently pipe round circles like doughnuts onto the tray.
- If you have a proving setting on your oven set or place in a warm place and allow to rise for about 2 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 210 deg and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly.
- Brush each doughnut with a little water and dip into the remaining sugar. You could also use light brown sugar and maybe add 1 tsp of cinnamon for extra flavour.
Then………devour………..and don’t feel guilty about it! Happy Days!
Told you I was on a mission to eat healthier without compromising on flavours! Another cracker of a wee dish, I had this for brunch today (I needed a lay in..lol!) Bonus:- Under 400 calories!
75ml Light Single Cream
Low calorie Spray
1 red onion – finely chopped
1 green pepper – finely chopped
50g kale – shredded
50g Spinach leaves – I used baby
2 tsp Cajun spice mix (1/2 tsp garlic, 1 tsp all spice, 1/2 tsp thyme), (my all spice mix was:- 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, 3 cloves)
salt & pepper to taste
- Beat together Cream and eggs with salt & pepper
- Heat spray oil in a fry pan on medium heat and cook through onion and green pepper (3-4 mins)
- Add kale with a splash of water, cook for a few minutes. Sprinkle on the Cajun mix and add seasoning, then add in the spinach, cook until spinach has wilted.
- Spray the mixture with some spray oil and add in the egg mixture, allow to sit for 1 minute then stir through until you have scrambled egg effect. Serve immediately.
O.M.G!…this little dish was amazingly tasty and even better, it was under 500 calories too! I am on a mission to eat a bit healthier this year, I generally do, but I’m making more of an effort this year….( I know, I hear you, we all say that in January….lol!) It was also so quick to make, in just 10 minutes my dinner was ready, a great mid week or quick Friday night dinner. Bonus:- Under 500 calories and full of flavour!
150g Wholewheat Penne pasta
6 slices or Parma Ham – chopped
1 red onion – thinly chopped
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 chilli – chopped or 1 tsp dried chillies
60ml creme fraiche
1 handful of frozen peas
small handful of chopped parsley
small handful of chopped mint
Grated zest of 1 lemon
2 ladel’s spoonfuls of pasta water
Spray oil – low calorie
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and cook pasta for about 8-10 mins or follow packet instructions.
- Gently heat spray oil in a fry pan on medium heat
- Add onion, parma ham, chilli and garlic and cook through. Half way add 2 ladle’s of the pasta water.
- When pasta is ready, drain and add to the pan along with the peas, cook for 2 minutes to heat peas through.
- Add creme fraiche, parsley, mint & grate lemon zest and stir through, only for 30 secs. Ready to serve.