I know right!….low calorie doughnuts! O.M.G! Who knew? These are inspired by Tom Kerridge, I just needed to give these a go after seeing him bake these on TV, I have to say they are amazing, the flavour is fabulous and they are extremely light and fluffy too. At ONLY 120 CALORIES per Doughnut……..why would you not?? I have to say I was in heaven this afternoon……my fav Sunday afternoon treat….Fresh Coffee & Doughnuts! (no guilt)
250g Self Raising flour
180ml milk – semi-skimmed
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp chinese five spice
1/2 tsp dried yeast
1 egg beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Gently heat the milk, butter and vanilla extract in a saucepan on hob. (do not boil)
- In a mixer, sift the flour, 1 tbsp sugar (keep 1 tbsp back for finishing), cinnamon, chinese five spice and yeast, mix together.
- Add in the egg to the flour and mix then add in the milk mixture and mix until you get a thick batter.
- If you have a doughnut tray…..brilliant! If not, (like me) spoon the mixture into a piping bag and grease a baking tray.
- Gently pipe round circles like doughnuts onto the tray.
- If you have a proving setting on your oven set or place in a warm place and allow to rise for about 2 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 210 deg and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly.
- Brush each doughnut with a little water and dip into the remaining sugar. You could also use light brown sugar and maybe add 1 tsp of cinnamon for extra flavour.
Then………devour………..and don’t feel guilty about it! Happy Days!
Told you I was on a mission to eat healthier without compromising on flavours! Another cracker of a wee dish, I had this for brunch today (I needed a lay in..lol!) Bonus:- Under 400 calories!
75ml Light Single Cream
Low calorie Spray
1 red onion – finely chopped
1 green pepper – finely chopped
50g kale – shredded
50g Spinach leaves – I used baby
2 tsp Cajun spice mix (1/2 tsp garlic, 1 tsp all spice, 1/2 tsp thyme), (my all spice mix was:- 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, 3 cloves)
salt & pepper to taste
- Beat together Cream and eggs with salt & pepper
- Heat spray oil in a fry pan on medium heat and cook through onion and green pepper (3-4 mins)
- Add kale with a splash of water, cook for a few minutes. Sprinkle on the Cajun mix and add seasoning, then add in the spinach, cook until spinach has wilted.
- Spray the mixture with some spray oil and add in the egg mixture, allow to sit for 1 minute then stir through until you have scrambled egg effect. Serve immediately.
O.M.G!…this little dish was amazingly tasty and even better, it was under 500 calories too! I am on a mission to eat a bit healthier this year, I generally do, but I’m making more of an effort this year….( I know, I hear you, we all say that in January….lol!) It was also so quick to make, in just 10 minutes my dinner was ready, a great mid week or quick Friday night dinner. Bonus:- Under 500 calories and full of flavour!
150g Wholewheat Penne pasta
6 slices or Parma Ham – chopped
1 red onion – thinly chopped
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 chilli – chopped or 1 tsp dried chillies
60ml creme fraiche
1 handful of frozen peas
small handful of chopped parsley
small handful of chopped mint
Grated zest of 1 lemon
2 ladel’s spoonfuls of pasta water
Spray oil – low calorie
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and cook pasta for about 8-10 mins or follow packet instructions.
- Gently heat spray oil in a fry pan on medium heat
- Add onion, parma ham, chilli and garlic and cook through. Half way add 2 ladle’s of the pasta water.
- When pasta is ready, drain and add to the pan along with the peas, cook for 2 minutes to heat peas through.
- Add creme fraiche, parsley, mint & grate lemon zest and stir through, only for 30 secs. Ready to serve.