Saucermeat or Sasermeat (as its pronounced) is n Iconic traditional dish in Shetland Islands. Mainly beef but sometimes lamb is used. The islanders mix it with a beautiful dry spice mix to give it a unique flavour. Meat can be made into meatballs, burgers, oven dishes it’s really your choice.
I decided to go for the traditional Lorne sausage (square sausage).
Makes about 4 sausages
1 tsp salt
2 tsp spice mix
For the Spice Mix
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 tsp white peppercorns
1 tsp whole allspice
1 tsp whole mace
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of whole cloves
- Mix the dry spice together and then add to the saucermeat, blending well.
- Take the meat and shape in a Lorne sausage about 1cm thick, season with salt
- I used my crisperplate to cook for about 10 minutes. Alternatively you can grill or shallow fry for the same time.
- Serve on a scottish butter morning roll. Yum!
1 tsp olive oil
350g lean lamb cubed
1 garlic clove or tsp dried garlic
1 tbsp plain flour
400ml lamb stock, made with concentrate
200g chopped tomatoes
1 bouquet garni
1 x 400g flageolet beans, drained
300g or handful green beans
200g or handful of cherry tomatoes
salt and pepper
1, Heat oil in pan, add the lamb and fry for 3-4 mins until browned all over, set aside.
2. Add the onions and garlic and fry until drowned slightly, approx 3-4 mins.
3. Return the lamb to the pan andding any juices, stir through the flour to thicken. Then add in the stock, tomatoes, bouquet garni and beans. Bring to the boil then cover and simmer approx 2 hours or until lamb is tender.
4. Add the cherry tomatoes to the stew and season well. Continue to simmer for about 15-20 mins.
5. Meanwhile place the green beans in a pan of boiling water for 3 mins then blanch cold water. Alternatively you can steam cook.
6. Divide the stew between plates and serve with green beans. Yum! You can also serve some crusty bread to soak up the sauce. Yum Yum!
Rack of Lamb (set of 8 – 500g)
Select Lamb setting in the Intelligent cooking zone, reduce time down to 45 mins and press start
Baste Lamb with favourite toppings, I just seasoned with salt and pepper
Place into oven (no need to seal meat as oven will do this)
Remove from oven when finished and leave to rest for approx 5 mins and slice.
Perfectly cooked lamb, nice and tender. Serve with minted lamb sauce.
If using larger quantity just increase the cooking time.