I got this little Jamie Olive cook book recently and have been trying out some recipes, which I have to say have been delicious. Tonight, I thought I would take my inspiration from Mr. JO but put my own twist to this. I have to say it was rather tasty…..Mmmmmm.
Using a combination of my Crisper plate and my steam pot, this little dish was made in under 20 minutes. Quick and easy meals.
80g Basmati & quinoa rice (I used Tilda)
2 x Scottish Salmon Fillets
4 tsp sweet chilli sauce (I always use Blue Dragon, I find they are the best)
2 tbsp sesame seeds
3 spring onions
1 fresh red chilli
60g sugar snap peas
4 springs of fresh coriander
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 lime (juice only)
80g smoked beetroot
- Place the basmati rice into the steam pot with 200ml water and cover, cook on the Automatic rice setting on microwave for 18 minutes. Remove and keep warm (keep lid on till other food is ready)
- Meanwhile, rub the sweet chilli sauce into the salmon then sprinkle the sesame seeds over making sure they stick by pressing slightly.
- Finely slice the spring onions, sugar snap peas, chilli then julienne the carrot, cucumber, beetroot using a julienne peeler (if not you can coarsely grate). Place all into a bowl with the coriander.
- Place the salmon (skin side down) onto the crisper plate and cook on dynamic crisp setting for 7 minutes or until slightly crispy and cooked.
- Pour the basmati rice into the salad bowl and mix through with the toasted sesame oil, lime juice and 2 tsp of sweet chilli sauce.
- Serve up the salad and place the salmon when ready on top. Amazing, Tasty little dish. Yummy!
I first saw this recipe on Asassyspoon , I just had to give it a go as I love Salmon and Avocado so whats not to like! I changed it ever so slightly to suit my tastes and experiment. I also haven’t invested in a spiralizer yet so its cucumber strips instead of noodles…lol!
Makes 1 portion – obviously add quantities for more.
2 Salmon Fillets – make sure its good quality Scottish Salmon…lol!
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp rainbow peppercorns – ground
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp olive oil – good quality
Salt & pepper to taste
For the dressing:-
1/2 lemon juiced
1/2 garlic clove – crushed
Handful Dill – freshly chopped (or you could use parsley)
1/2 chilli – diced or 1/2 tsp dried flakes
2 tbsp water
Salt & pepper to taste
- Combine the chilli powder, pepper, cumin, salt and pepper in a small bowl with 1 tbsp olive oil. Place salmon in bowl and rub into skin covering all of the salmon.
- Heat a pan on medium heat with 1 tbsp oil. Place fillets into pan skin side down first and cook for 4 minutes, just leave to cook. Then flip fillets over and cook for a further 3-4 minutes, remove.
- Meanwhile make the dressing by mixing together all the dressing ingredients in a blender until you have a smooth paste.
- If you have a spiralizer then use that for your cucumber, if not, you can use a peeler to make strips.
- Add the cucumber to the avocado dressing and coat.
- Place the cucumber onto a plate and place the salmon on top. Serve. Yummy!
I have to admit this is still my favourite Salad, flavours are just so tasty and go with anything. So quick to put together too!
1 x Red Mini Cos Spanish Lettuce – sliced longways the halved (this is so crunchy and refreshing)……best lettuce in my books.
1 x carrot – sliced longways
1/2 cucumber – sliced longways
1/2 courgette – sliced longways
2 tbsp black olives sliced
4 small cherry or piccolo tomatoes – sliced halveways
2 tbsp lemon juice
big drizzle of Olive oil – good quality
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp sesame seeds to top
- Mix everything together – serve with anything or simply just eat on its own. Yummy!
Easy Sunday Salad – makes 2 servings
2 x Handfuls of favourite leaves, I used mixed baby leaf and rocket
200g or 2 handfuls of plum or cherry tomatoes
1/2 Chopped cucumber
1 x Chopped red pepper (cooked or uncooked your choice)
1 or 2 x Sliced cooked beetroot
1 x avocado
2-4 slices Halloumi
balsamic vinegar, olive oil, lemon and lime juice for dressing
1. Mix all salad foods together in a large bowl and pour in dressing
2. Heat a tablespoon of oil on a griddle and fry halloumi cheese for approx 2-3 mins on eash side
3. serve salad mix on a plate, lay cooked beetroot and avocado on top of leaves and then lay halloumi
4. serve and enjoy.