This is a classic dish in the U.K, good British pub food, I was keen to give it a go. Easy One pot cooking and can be slow cooked too. Traditionally its served with roast potatoes, however, having loads of rice to use up in my cupboard this was my preferred choice.
For the Chicken
4 Chicken Breasts
4 Bacon slices (smoked)
3 shallots, diced
2 tsp garlic granules or 2 cloves
1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp crushed chilli flakes
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp hot sauce
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp sugar
80g reduced fat cheddar (healthier option)
For the Rice
150g Wholemeal Log Grain Rice
1 x 400g tin of mixed beans
Pinch of Saffron
300ml Vegetable Stock
75-100g chopped Chorizo
- Preheat oven to 180 deg.
- Wrap each chicken breast with the bacon slice and secure with a cocktail stick
- Put all of the other ingredients for the chicken into an ovenproof casserole dish with a tight lid.
- Place the chicken on top of the ingredients, put lid on and cook for about 1-2 hours.
- Remove from the oven and remove chicken breasts from the dish, set aside. Using a blender blitz the sauce until smooth.
- Place chicken into a dish, cover with the sauce and sprinkle the cheese over the top, place under a hot grill to melt the cheese.
- Place the rice, beans, chorizo, stock & saffron into the steam pot and cook on Steam setting for 20 minutes.
- Serve. Yummy!
Oh yummy, I was going through all my cookbooks and found this dish from Jamie Olivers Superfood Book. Was easy to make, very filling and very delicious. Fresh flavours and so nutritious. Squash is packed with Vitamin A which helps us see in the dark. Laksa originates from Southeast Asia, it is usually a noodle based soup with coconut.
2 sticks of lemongrass
2 cloves garlic
10cm piece of ginger
2 fresh chillies
3 spring onions
1 bunch of fresh coriander
80ml coconut cream
Splash white wine vinegar
Splash of Fish Sauce
Chicken Stock Cube with 700ml water
150g brown rice or wild rice
1 butternut squash
2 chicken breasts (or thighs)
1 tbsp Sesame oil
1 tbsp unsalted peanuts
- Preheat your oven to 180 deg.
- Bash the lemongrass and remove outer layers, peel the garlic and ginger and chop the spring onions and chillies roughly. Place all in a blender. Add the coriander, (reserving a few leaves for garnish) coconut cream, vinegar and fish sauce, blitz the mixture until smooth. This is your Laksa paste.
- Crumble the chicken stock cube into your oven dish and add 700ml boiling water to dissolve. Add in the rice.
- Cut up the butternut squash into 4 rounds off the bulbous part, removing the seeds.
- Cut the chicken breasts into large bite size pieces. Cover the chicken and butternut squash pieces with the Laksa paste. Place them into the oven dish with the rice & water. Drizzle 1 tbsp sesame oil over the top.
- Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Before serving, toast the peanuts and chop into small bits, sprinkle on top with the coriander leaves and squeeze the juice from lime over the top. Serve.
Love home comfort food? This is a great little dish that never fails to satisfy. Easy to make, economical and very filling. Using the Gruyere cheese gives it a lovely rich flavour and the panko breadcrumbs give it a lovely bite.
2 Chicken Breasts – cut into bite size pieces
200g broccoli florets – fresh
1 tbsp butter
1 brown onion, sliced thinly
100ml creme fraiche
200ml chicken stock
40g panko breadcrumbs
55g Gruyere Cheese, grated
Salt & pepper to taste
- Pre heat your oven to 200 deg.
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil and add the broccoli, cook for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan and cook the onions until browned and softened, about 4 minutes.
- Layer the broccoli, onion & chicken in an oven proof dish and season well with salt & pepper.
- Pour over the stock and creme fraiche, mix through.
- Using the remaining butter in the pan from onions add the breadcrumbs and cheese and mix through, only heat for about 1 minutes until panko crumbs go slightly brown and cheese is combined.
- Sprinkle the panko crumbs and cheese over the chicken in the dish and bake for about 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve & Enjoy!
Oh yes!……I know your looking at that and thinking jeezo that looks super tasty……and guess what you’d be right. Not only that, its only 492 Kcal per serving…..OMG! Tasty, Healthier, Lower in Calories and easy to make. Win! Win!
Another belter of a recipe from NOM!
3 Chicken Breasts – cut into strips, fat removed
2 yellow or red peppers thinly sliced
2 large onions thinly sliced
1 tbsp ground cumin
1/2 tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp mild chilli powder
1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
salt & pepper to taste
1 x 500g carton passata
1 x 400g kidney beans
2 x low calorie corn tortillas
70g low fat mozzarella
40g reduced fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 180 deg fan and line the base of a 24cm springform tin with baking paper
- Add the chicken strips to a low-medium heat fry pan and brown.
- Add in the peppers and onions and brown, then add in the spices and mix through until coated.
- Add in the passata and kidney beans and simmer for about 10-15 mins.
- Put a layer of the chicken mix into the springform tin, then layer with 1 of the tortillas, then another layer of chicken mix, then another tortilla then another layer of chicken mix. Top with chunks of mozzarella and sprinkle grated cheese over.
- Put into the oven for 25 minutes or until cheese is lovely and browned and bubbling. Serve.
Delicious little Saturday night dish (or any night for that matter) I also used corn tortillas and made my own salsa to keep the fat and calories lower. I am on a mission this year to eat a little healthier and try new ideas and flavours. This is packed with flavour and filling too.
You could of course use Tacos instead of wraps.
Makes enough for about 6 wraps
For the chicken:-
2 large chicken breasts
1 tin chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp Taco Seasoning (see below)
For the Salsa:-
2 tomatoes – chopped
1 onion – chopped
1 lime juice of
2 tsp dried coriander
1 tsp sea salt
Sour Cream to taste
1 tbsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
Add all above to a little jar and mix. Store in cupboard.
- Place a little oil in a pan on medium heat
- Coat the chicken with the Taco Seasoning about 1 large tbsp per breast and gently colour the chicken in the pan.
- Add in the tin tomatoes to the pan with the chicken, cover and slow cook on a low heat for about 4 hours.
- Meanwhile make the salsa by adding the chopped tomatoes, chopped onion, salt, coriander and lime juice in a bowl and mix together. Store in fridge until needed.
- About 1/2 hour before about to serve, take 2 forks and shred the chicken in the pan. Continue to cook uncovered for about 1/2 hour, this helps thicken the sauce.
- Warm up your tortillas as per instructions on packet, place on a plate.
- Spread a thin layer of sour cream, place some shredded chicken on top, then some tomato salsa then another little dollop of sour cream, wrap and devour! Yummy!
You could also add in a little avocado or some grated cheese.
Friday night is mostly pizza night in our house, but as I’m on my Detox this week it was finding an alternative for me and why not Butterfly chicken? I have to say this dish was so delicious and very healthy and nutritious too. Win, win for me!
2 x Chicken Breasts
1 onion – chopped
handful of sweet peppers – chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
1 tsp Italian herbs
1 tbsp tomato paste
Salt & pepper to taste
30g Goats Cheese
- Butterfly your chicken and flatten the thicker part so it will cook evenly.
- Add the chopped onion, peppers, chilli flakes, olive oil and all seasonings into a food bag and make sure all are coated.
- Take 1 tsp and spread onto each chicken breast evenly
- Next add the onion & pepper mix and spread evenly
- Preheat your Crisperplate for 2 minutes on crisp setting then place the chicken breasts on and cook for 5-6 minutes (depending on size of your chicken)
- Remove crisp plate and crumble on the goats cheese evenly, put back into the oven and cook on crisp for a further 3 minutes.
- Serve. Yummy!
(If you don’t have a crisper plate, bake in oven at 200 deg for about 15-20 minutes)
Fresh Pasta is just the best, but I always make far too much, I really need to learn my portion sizes…lol. Today I came across a recipe for balsamic chicken so I decided to try it out but add a little honey to it for the glaze and flavour, it was delicious.
For the pasta: (makes 4 servings)
275g ‘OO’ Grade Pasta Flour
3 large eggs
1 tbsp dried basil
- Sift the flour & put basil into the large bowl on Kitchen Aid mixer or work surface.
- Make a well in the middle. Crack one egg in and whisk gently.
- Gently with your hands start to incorporate the flour starting at the bottom, once it starts to come together crack the 2nd egg, then the 3rd until it becomes sticky.
- Using the dough hook on the mixer, knead together until you get a smooth like dough. Remove, cover with cling film and leave for about 1 hour.
- Attach the pasta attachment, cut the pasta dough into 4 sections.
- Flatten dough with hand then feed through the pasta maker, No. 1 x 5, No. 3 x 2, No. 5/6 x 1
- Change attachment to fettuccine and feed through. Hang until ready to cook.
- Heat a large pan of slightly salted water and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Strain
For the Balsamic Honey Chicken:-
2 Chicken Breasts (1 per person)
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp rainbow pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ginger powder
1 tbsp olive oil
- Place chicken breast in a dish. Combine all the marinade ingredients in a seperate dish then pour over the chicken. Marinade in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Pre heat your grill to medium heat and gently grill the chicken on the wire shelf for about 16-17 minutes turning halfway through. Tip:- place a tray of cold water underneath to catch any drips but this also adds a little steam to help keep the chicken moist. (I have a chicken breast setting on my oven which I used, this automatically controls the temperature).
- Meanwhile cut some baby tomatoes in half (I used vittoria tomatoes), and place in the dish with remaining marinade sauce and mix. Place in the oven with the chicken beasts and next shelf down (underneath).
- Remove chicken from grill and slice lengthways, tip into the drained pasta along with the tomatoes and sauce and combine. Serve. Yummy!