This was a little dish I tried from Pinch of Nom’s Latest Cookbook. It was super tasty and low in Kcal’s too at just 398 per portion.
Low cal cooking spray
300g diced chicken
2 red peppers, diced
1 onion, diced
2 celery sticks, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp cajun seasoning (1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsps garlic powder, 2 tsps paprika, 1 tsp ground black pepper, 1 tsp cayenne pepper, 1 tsp oregano dried, 1 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes)
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
1 x 400g tin tomatoes
200g long grain rice
400ml chicken stock
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
3 low fat sausages (I sliced them after they were cooked)
- Spray a large dish with oil, add the chicken and cook over medium heat to brown.
- Then add in the onion, peppers and celery, cook for a few minutes
- Add in the garlic, cajun spice, paprika and oregano, stir and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the rice, chopped tomatoes, stock & worcestershire sauce. Place the sausages in and bring to the boil then reduce to a low heat and cook covered for about 30 minutes.
- Serve, Yum!
This is a great dish that you can batch cook with and freeze.
This recipe is so easy to make and a great quick and satisfying classic. The word ‘Dirty‘ comes from the fact it looks dirty with the colour of the minced beef. Made with rice and vegetables this is so healthy too, at only approx 300 Kcal per serving.
150g Long Grain Brown Rice (or white if you prefer)
1 Chicken Stock Cube – (300ml water if steaming, using Steam pot)
400g Scottish minced beef
1 red onion – chopped finely
4 bacon medallions – diced
3-4 tsp Cajun seasoning (depending on how spicy you like it)
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 carrot, diced
1 red pepper, diced
100g gardens peas
200ml beef stock
1 beef stock cube
bunch spring onions, sliced
- Cook the rice as per packet instructions. I used my Steam pot, decant rice into pot, add the frozen peas and chicken stock, cover and cook on Auto Rice setting for 18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spray a fry pan with low fat cooking spray, brown the mince, onions and bacon.
- Add in the Cajun seasoning, salt & pepper, worcestershire sauce and stir. Then add in the carrot, peppers and beef stock. Simmer for a few minutes until peppers are softened.
- Add the cooked rice to the pan and mix through. Finish with the spring onions and serve. We served with some Corn Folded Flatbreads. Yummy!