Love these little baked egg boats, such a super simple dish for a lazy breakfast morning. Nutritious, tasty and low in calories and fat.
1 1/2 Wholemeal Sandwich thins (or you could use bread)
knob of butter melted
2 large eggs
small handful of baby spinach
1 tsp smoked paprika
- Preheat your oven to 180 deg
- Spray a baking tin with a little low fat spray oil
- Brush the thins with the melted butter, both sides & mould into the baking tin, bake in the oven for 5 minutes
- Place the spinach into the boats and whisk the eggs, pour into the boats, sprinkle with chilli and paprika and season.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes until set and browned.
- Serve. Yummy!
With some puff pastry left in the fridge and looking for a tasty Sunday brunch thought I’d have a go at a puff pastry tart. Such a simple and easy yet tasty delight. The fillings are endless too, I now have so many ideas going on in my head for next time…….goats cheese being one of my favourites.
1 sheet of puff pastry
1 egg whisked for the wash
2 egg yolks
handful cherry tomatoes – halved
handful of spinach
salt & pepper to taste
- Firstly cut your pastry into a square, about 5″ x 5″, using a sharp knife draw a square around the pastry about 1 cm in, be careful not to cut right through.
- Brush the pastry with the egg wash.
- Place the spinach in the square then the cherry tomatoes around the edge.
- Place into a preheated oven at 190 deg for approx 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, pour the remaining egg wash into the centre and then place the egg yolks in the middle, put back in oven and continue to cook for approx 10-15mins.
- Remove and serve……Yum!
I just love breakfast time it is one of my most enjoyable food times and creating something different every weekend has become an exciting challenge. My favourite food is of course eggs, love them anyway cooked. So this morning I went for something simple but very very tasty. I recently purchased some fresh eggs from Little Turnberry Farm and Chicken Nest at the Glasgow Assembly, all of their hens love their freedom at their farmhouse gardens, they enjoy foraging the grounds and a with little TLC they produce the most flavoursome eggs.
Here is my wee recipe for the best baked eggs and tomato:-
2 x Beef Tomato
2 x Fresh Eggs
Salt & pepper
pinch of basil (fresh or dried)
pinch of chives (fresh or dried)
1 x slice of cheddar cheese
- First slice the top of the tomato and scoop out the insides.
- Season the tomato with salt & pepper, crack the egg into the tomato, sprinkle basil over the top and some cracked black pepper.
- Place into a preheated oven at 220 deg and bake for 20 mins for a runny egg, 30-35 mins for solid.
- A few minutes before it’s ready, place slices of cheddar cheese on top and allow to melt.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle some chives on top serve with some lovely avocado slices. Yummy!!