I just love playing with my food….lol! I was feeling in a creative mood this morning so rather than smashing the avocado (as I normally do) I thought it’s time to try the Avocado Rose bowl design that has been going about for a while now. Not only did I master that, since it’s February, the month of Love, a wee love heart appeared also.
Here’s how to do it.
Little oil and a sharp knife
- Firstly rub your knife and your work surface with a little oil, this helps the knife glide smoothly through the avocado.
- Slowly slice the avocado as thinly as you can.
- Wet your fingers slightly, then slowly fan out the avocado slices to make a long line or u shape.
- Gently start to roll up into your rose bowl design or in fact any design you want to.
I then placed on a piece of toast with a poached egg inside and devoured!
Oh…. I do love breakfast time! New Year, new ideas, new breakfasts. Having some yoghurt left over I decided to try out some healthy smoothie bowls for my breakfast this week, and they we sooooooo delicious! A lovely smooth thick texture and full of healthy vitamins, whats not to like?
Here are 2 combinations that I tried and succeeded with.
- 1 x Avocado, 1 x Banana, 5 x Walnuts, 1 tsp vanilla, 4 tbsp natural yoghurt (low fat), 50ml milk, Mix everything in a blender or use a hand blender then top with 1 tbsp chia seeds, 1 tsp cinnamon to garnish
- 1 x Avocado, 1 x Banana, 6 Strawberries, 5 walnuts, 4 tbsp natural yoghurt (low fat), 50ml milk, Mix everything in a blender then top with 1 tbsp chia seeds and 2 strawberries to garnish.
I now have the urge to try more combinations, keep you posted!
A great way to start your day, or a fab brunch recipe. Nice and healthy and full of superfoods, what could be better?
Handful of Spinach
Handful of smoked pancetta cubes
2 tbsp of sweetcorn
1/2 avocado – chopped
Grated cheese – Handful
Salt & pepper to taste
- Grease your muffin tin and preheat oven to 180 deg.
- Roughly fry your pancetta cubes in a little oil and pat dry
- Lay the spinach leaves at the bottom of your muffin tin
- Then add in the pancetta, avocado and sweetcorn
- Whisk the eggs and season with salt & pepper
- Pour into the muffin tin then top with some cheese and chopped spinach.
- Bake for approx 20 mins. Yummy!
I believe Creamed corn pancakes originally came from Australia, a popular brunch food on the menu, however, I think they call them fritters! I decided to give them a go, the weather is getting colder and I crave warmer filling food, so this is ideal either as a breakfast, brunch or lunch.
This recipe made 6 large pancakes:-
For the pancakes:-
1 tsp baking powder
100ml full fat milk (or you could use buttermilk)
1 can creamed corn
1 handful of fresh sweetcorn
handful of parsley
Salt & pepper
- Whisk together milk, egg, creamed corn, sweetcorn, salt & pepper
- Mix flour and baking powder together and add to the above mixture, throw in the parsley stirring through
- Heat a large pan with 1 tbsp oil and then spoon into pan making a pancake shape (I love this bit, you always know when it’s homemade when it’s a weird shape and 2 are never the same….lol!)
- Cook through for about 5-7 mins each side or until browned and cooked through (medium heat)
Meanwhile for the Salsa:-
Handful of cherry tomatoes – halved
1 onion – chopped finely
1 clove Garlic
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp tomato paste
Salt & pepper
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan – high heat, add the onion and the pancetta, cook until onion is softened down
- Add in the cherry tomatoes, garlic, salt & pepper and sugar, mix through, cook for about 5-7 mins. Any liquid should thicken.
I served mine with some mashed avocado also. Yummy!
Nothing like homemade Guacamole. Here is my classic recipe that never fails to impress.
2 tbsp finely chopped white onion
1 tbsp fresh chopped red chilli
1/2 tsp salt (Kosher)
Handful of chopped parsley
1 large avocado
- Finely chop the onion, very finely
- Add the salt, parsley and chilli and mix
- Mash up the avocado lightly so you still have some chunky bits and add to the mixture
- Cut the Lime in half and squeeze the juice into the mixture. Mix together and serve. Yum!
Avocado eggs 2 ways…..decided to go both ways this morning.
teaspoon chia seeds
pepper to taste
- Softly boil the eggs…..about 6 mins.
- Cut the Avocado in half and remove the stone.
- Gently scoop out some of the middle to make room for the egg and set aside.
- When eggs are done, remove shell and cut in half longways
- Place 1 egg into the avocado and top with chia seeds and seasoning…enjoy!
- With the remaining avocado, mash up, take out the yolks and fill the other egg. enjoy!
Looking for exciting new ways of making healthy choices fun and no better way than with food colouring!
My Blue Marble Omelette with Avocado and Banana.
Food Colouring of your choice
- Whisk eggs and cinnamon together, gently heat through in a pan.
- A few mins before ready place avocado and banana onto omelette then flip over and serve. Yum!