My healthier eating continues this month. I got some lovely bits of Scottish Salmon recently so came up with this idea of a healthier mash using whatever I had in my fridge. It was delicious. Best bit, it only took 6 minutes to cook and put together.
Makes enough mash for 2-3 people
80g baby spinach
50g garden peas – cooked
juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp Sea Salt
Garlic clove – minced
1 tsp coriander – dried
1 tsp olive oil
(optional if you like spice, add in 1 tsp chilli flakes)
- Place everything into a blender and mix until just combined.
- Serve. Simple as that!
I steam cooked some salmon that I marinated in Teriyaki Sauce overnight. Yum!
I just love my relaxing Sunday mornings, today the sun was out and I felt great, the sun beaming into my kitchen through my living room. It’s amazing how a little bit of sun makes you feel, especially after our really bad and long winter.
Feeling good I decided to experiment, I was sent an idea recently….omelette in bread….brilliant, easy, tasteful, quick and simple cooking. Loved this.
There are so many combinations you can do, I went with cheese and tomato.
2 Slice of Bread – Thick slice is best
2 large eggs – whisked
2 tomatoes – sliced
Gouda cheese – small handful grated
- Heat a little oil in a fry pan and gently cook your filling ingredients, in this case I gently fried the tomatoes.
- Cut out the centre of the bread and set aside.
- Arrange the filling in the pan to the shape of the centre of the bread, then place the outside of the bread in the pan.
- Gently pour some of the egg mixture into the centre of the bread covering your filling. Do this slowly so it sets. Then sprinkle the cheese on top
- Allow to set slightly, then place the centre of the bread on top and flatten down. Then flip over and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove and serve…so yummy.
I just love Sunday Brunch time, no alarm, lay in, relaxing morning and a fantastic big breakfast that will keep me going until my Sunday dinner. I couldn’t decide between sweet or savoury this morning, so why not both?? This was an absolute treat and so glad I had some fresh tomatoes as this jam just nailed the dish.
Makes 2 portions
For the Jam
10 cherry tomatoes – 1/4
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp butter
1 red onion – finely chopped
For the French Toast
2 slices of bread (I used wholemeal)
1 tbsp butter for frying
Salt & pepper to taste
1 large handful of kale – I steamed cooked mine for 4 minutes, perfect.
1/2 Avocado – sliced
- To make the jam:- Heat 1 tbsp butter and some spray oil in a fry pan
- Saute the onion on medium heat until tender about 5 minutes
- Add brown sugar, stir and cook for a further 3 minutes
- Add the tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and cook for a further 5 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm
- To make the French Toast:- Heat 1 tbsp butter in a fry pan.
- Whisk the eggs and season with salt & pepper
- Place the slices of bread in the egg mixture and allow to soak for a minute, then place into the hot pan and fry on each side for about 3-4 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Steam cook your kale.
- Place kale onto toast, then avocado slices then top with the jam.
- Serve…….so Yummy!
I first saw this recipe on Asassyspoon , I just had to give it a go as I love Salmon and Avocado so whats not to like! I changed it ever so slightly to suit my tastes and experiment. I also haven’t invested in a spiralizer yet so its cucumber strips instead of noodles…lol!
Makes 1 portion – obviously add quantities for more.
2 Salmon Fillets – make sure its good quality Scottish Salmon…lol!
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp rainbow peppercorns – ground
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp olive oil – good quality
Salt & pepper to taste
For the dressing:-
1/2 lemon juiced
1/2 garlic clove – crushed
Handful Dill – freshly chopped (or you could use parsley)
1/2 chilli – diced or 1/2 tsp dried flakes
2 tbsp water
Salt & pepper to taste
- Combine the chilli powder, pepper, cumin, salt and pepper in a small bowl with 1 tbsp olive oil. Place salmon in bowl and rub into skin covering all of the salmon.
- Heat a pan on medium heat with 1 tbsp oil. Place fillets into pan skin side down first and cook for 4 minutes, just leave to cook. Then flip fillets over and cook for a further 3-4 minutes, remove.
- Meanwhile make the dressing by mixing together all the dressing ingredients in a blender until you have a smooth paste.
- If you have a spiralizer then use that for your cucumber, if not, you can use a peeler to make strips.
- Add the cucumber to the avocado dressing and coat.
- Place the cucumber onto a plate and place the salmon on top. Serve. Yummy!
I just love eggs and toast on a Saturday morning but wanted to jazz it up a bit today, so here is my eggs in toast with some spicy avocado bites.
2 Slices of Wholemeal toast (you can of course use white if you prefer)
1/2 avocado – mashed
tsp of chilli flakes
knob of butter
1. Heat butter in a pan
2. Using a cutter take out the centre of the bread slices
3. Place bread slices into the pan and crack the eggs in the centre. Also put the circle bites into the pan.
4. Cook for about 1-2 mins, then flip over and cook for a further 1-2 mins (depending if you want yolk running or not)
5. Meanwhile, mash up the avocado and sprinkle with chilli flakes.
6. Remove the toasts from pan and place on a plate. Take the 2 round pieces and place the cutter you used to cut over then spoon in the avocado mix, remove cutter and place on plate. Sprinkle with rainbow pepper to taste. Yummy!
I just love playing with my food….lol! I was feeling in a creative mood this morning so rather than smashing the avocado (as I normally do) I thought it’s time to try the Avocado Rose bowl design that has been going about for a while now. Not only did I master that, since it’s February, the month of Love, a wee love heart appeared also.
Here’s how to do it.
Little oil and a sharp knife
- Firstly rub your knife and your work surface with a little oil, this helps the knife glide smoothly through the avocado.
- Slowly slice the avocado as thinly as you can.
- Wet your fingers slightly, then slowly fan out the avocado slices to make a long line or u shape.
- Gently start to roll up into your rose bowl design or in fact any design you want to.
I then placed on a piece of toast with a poached egg inside and devoured!
Oh…. I do love breakfast time! New Year, new ideas, new breakfasts. Having some yoghurt left over I decided to try out some healthy smoothie bowls for my breakfast this week, and they we sooooooo delicious! A lovely smooth thick texture and full of healthy vitamins, whats not to like?
Here are 2 combinations that I tried and succeeded with.
- 1 x Avocado, 1 x Banana, 5 x Walnuts, 1 tsp vanilla, 4 tbsp natural yoghurt (low fat), 50ml milk, Mix everything in a blender or use a hand blender then top with 1 tbsp chia seeds, 1 tsp cinnamon to garnish
- 1 x Avocado, 1 x Banana, 6 Strawberries, 5 walnuts, 4 tbsp natural yoghurt (low fat), 50ml milk, Mix everything in a blender then top with 1 tbsp chia seeds and 2 strawberries to garnish.
I now have the urge to try more combinations, keep you posted!