I made this for my mum coming round for dinner this weekend, was looking for something light and refreshing, it totally hit the spot. I served it with cream but you could also serve custard which I think would be nice.
The orange rind gives this cake a fragrant hint of citrus while the almond flour makes it moist and dense, so its virtually melt in the mouth. Perfect with an afternoon cuppa.
Used a 20cm cake tin.
220g icing sugar (leave a little for decoration at end)
90g plain flour
90g Almond flour
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp baking powder
6 egg whites
115 g soft butter
Rind of 1 orange
- Mix all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg, grease a cake tin.
- Pour mixture into the baking tin and bake for about 25-30 mins or until a skewer comes clean. Oh so yummy!
Oh WOW…….these are amazing, if you like all things lemony and fresh then this is the little cupcake for you.
I had a jar of Sicilian Lemon Curd to be used up so thought I;d try some little cupcakes. Yummy….Yummy! Perfect with an afternoon cuppa.
1 Cup of Cream – I used the double light cream (healthier option…lol)
1 cup of caster sugar
2 eggs – beaten
1 1/2 cup of self raising flour
1 Lemon – grated rind and juice
250g cream cheese
125g salted butter
grated rind and juice of 1/2 lemon
250g Icing Sugar – you may need more or less.
- Preheat you oven to 180 deg
- Put cream, caster sugar and eggs into a large mixing bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Grate the lemon rind into the bowl.
- Sift in the flour and whisk until batter is thick and smooth.
- Divide the mixture into your cup cases and bake for approx 15-20 minutes.
6. Allow cupcakes to cool slightly. Then taking a small teaspoon or knife dig some holes into the centre, not too big or too small. Then gently fill the holes with the lemon curd.
7. To make the buttercream:- Add the cream cheese, icing sugar, butter, rind and juice of 1/2 lemon into your mixing bowl and whisk until light and airy.
8. Add into a piping bag and pipe on top of your cupcakes covering the hole. To finish sprinkle some lemon rind on top.