I love breakfast time, my favourite meal of the day. I am always looking for new things to try with my Crisperplate and this little recipe was delicious and baked in just 15 minutes too.
Makes 4 servings.
4 Charlotte potatoes – grated with skin on (more flavour in the skin)
8 slices of smoked bacon – back or rashers either is fine
Cheddar cheese – grated (amount to your preference)
6 green spring onions – chopped
6 large eggs
1/2 cup of milk
1 tbsp flour
salt & pepper to season
- Grate potatoes and squeeze out excess water, pat dry and sprinkle the flour over to soak up any water.
- Preheat the crisper plate for 2 minutes then evenly lay the grated potatoes onto plate and season. Leave some spaces on the plate as this allows the potatoes to crisp up better. Cook for 6 minutes
- Place the bacon onto the potatoes and cook for 3 minutes or longer if your prefer extra crispy bacon.
- Meanwhile whisk the eggs with the milk and season
- Evenly spread the spring onions and cheese onto the bacon and potatoes then pour over the egg mixture and season.
- Bake for about 6 minutes or until desired browness.
- Serve. Yummy!
I just love my relaxing Sunday mornings, today the sun was out and I felt great, the sun beaming into my kitchen through my living room. It’s amazing how a little bit of sun makes you feel, especially after our really bad and long winter.
Feeling good I decided to experiment, I was sent an idea recently….omelette in bread….brilliant, easy, tasteful, quick and simple cooking. Loved this.
There are so many combinations you can do, I went with cheese and tomato.
2 Slice of Bread – Thick slice is best
2 large eggs – whisked
2 tomatoes – sliced
Gouda cheese – small handful grated
- Heat a little oil in a fry pan and gently cook your filling ingredients, in this case I gently fried the tomatoes.
- Cut out the centre of the bread and set aside.
- Arrange the filling in the pan to the shape of the centre of the bread, then place the outside of the bread in the pan.
- Gently pour some of the egg mixture into the centre of the bread covering your filling. Do this slowly so it sets. Then sprinkle the cheese on top
- Allow to set slightly, then place the centre of the bread on top and flatten down. Then flip over and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove and serve…so yummy.
I just love Sunday Brunch time, no alarm, lay in, relaxing morning and a fantastic big breakfast that will keep me going until my Sunday dinner. I couldn’t decide between sweet or savoury this morning, so why not both?? This was an absolute treat and so glad I had some fresh tomatoes as this jam just nailed the dish.
Makes 2 portions
For the Jam
10 cherry tomatoes – 1/4
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp butter
1 red onion – finely chopped
For the French Toast
2 slices of bread (I used wholemeal)
1 tbsp butter for frying
Salt & pepper to taste
1 large handful of kale – I steamed cooked mine for 4 minutes, perfect.
1/2 Avocado – sliced
- To make the jam:- Heat 1 tbsp butter and some spray oil in a fry pan
- Saute the onion on medium heat until tender about 5 minutes
- Add brown sugar, stir and cook for a further 3 minutes
- Add the tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and cook for a further 5 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm
- To make the French Toast:- Heat 1 tbsp butter in a fry pan.
- Whisk the eggs and season with salt & pepper
- Place the slices of bread in the egg mixture and allow to soak for a minute, then place into the hot pan and fry on each side for about 3-4 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Steam cook your kale.
- Place kale onto toast, then avocado slices then top with the jam.
- Serve…….so Yummy!
I have found a little trick to make the perfect poached eggs! For ages, probably like everyone, you make them in a pan of water and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Plus they take about 10 minutes in total. This little trick is 1 minute……..yes 1 minute! So easy…..so quick….same taste and structure. What’s not to like?
First take a ramekin (or similar round deep dish), fill 3/4 way with water (cold is ok).
Secondly crack the egg into the water, then with a sharp knife gently prick the egg yolk (you must do this or else the egg will explode)
Thirdly put into a microwave on power level 900w for 1 minute = runny yolk, 1.5 minutes = hard yolk.
Honestly…….it’s that easy and that quick! You’ll never look back.
Note:- Timings may vary depending on microwave power.
Have I ever told you how much I love this Crisper Plate by Hotpoint, LOL!, and have I ever told you how much I love breakfast time? Well my saturday morning was a case of up and out so I need something quick but filling, this little omelette pocket only took 4 minutes to cook and so tasty and filling. Mission accomplished!
5-6 slices of smoked cooked ham
handful of grated cheddar cheese
Salt & pepper to season
- Preheat the crisper plate for 2 minutes
- Beat eggs together with seasoning
- Pour onto crisper plate, lay evenly the spinach, ham, cheese and season to taste (you can of course use any combination of filling you like)
- Cook on dynamic crisp setting for 4 minutes or until eggs have set.
- Cut in half and fold over, serve. Yummy!
My perfect Saturday morning Brekkie…..:)
Told you I was on a mission to eat healthier without compromising on flavours! Another cracker of a wee dish, I had this for brunch today (I needed a lay in..lol!) Bonus:- Under 400 calories!
75ml Light Single Cream
Low calorie Spray
1 red onion – finely chopped
1 green pepper – finely chopped
50g kale – shredded
50g Spinach leaves – I used baby
2 tsp Cajun spice mix (1/2 tsp garlic, 1 tsp all spice, 1/2 tsp thyme), (my all spice mix was:- 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, 3 cloves)
salt & pepper to taste
- Beat together Cream and eggs with salt & pepper
- Heat spray oil in a fry pan on medium heat and cook through onion and green pepper (3-4 mins)
- Add kale with a splash of water, cook for a few minutes. Sprinkle on the Cajun mix and add seasoning, then add in the spinach, cook until spinach has wilted.
- Spray the mixture with some spray oil and add in the egg mixture, allow to sit for 1 minute then stir through until you have scrambled egg effect. Serve immediately.
New Year, New Recipes, New ideas, New ways of thinking and so on………..yes we all do it in January and this one was no different. I am trying to look for new ways to add health benefit spices to my food, so thought I would start with Turmeric, a spice rice with anti-inflammatory effects, powerful antioxidants which protect our body from free radicals, know to improve brain function, lower your risk of heart disease, prevent cancer, it even has anti-ageing benefits (I so on this one…lol). So why not?
This little dish was so tasty, I will definitely be having it more.
Makes 2 portions
2 tsps turmeric
Salt & pepper
6 cherry tomatoes – cut into quarters
2 tsps parsley (dried or fresh) – I used dried
- Heat oil in a fry pan on medium heat
- Gently heat through tomatoes until slightly soft
- Whisk up eggs and pour into pan, add turmeric, parsley and salt & pepper, allow to sit for a minute then gently mix through until you have a scrambled egg consistency. Serve immediately.