Another home comfort food dish, delicious for lunch or dinner, hot or cold.
Butter for greasing tin
1 Roll ready made shortcrust pastry
1 bunch of asparagus spears
250g Spinach leaves
3 large eggs
150ml double cream
1 garlic clove, crushed
10 small cherry tomatoes
handful fresh basil, chopped
40g grated cheddar cheese (or you could use parmesan)
Salt & pepper
- Pre heat oven to 190 deg on convection bake setting.
- Grease a 10-12 inch tart tin with the butter, roll out the pastry and line the tin, trimming of excess.
- Cover the pastry with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Blind bake for about 20 minutes until lightly browned. Remove and allow to cool slightly. Reduce oven to 180 deg.
- Meanwhile, bend the asparagus spears until they snap and discard woody bases.
- Bring a large pan of slightly salted water to the boil and blanch the asparagus for 1 minute, remove. Using the same water put the spinach in then remove immediately. Drain well and squeeze excess moisture out.
- Mix the eggs, cream & garlic together in a bowl and season with salt & pepper.
- Lay the spinach into the pastry case, then the asparagus and tomatoes cut side up, sprinkle with the basil. Pour the egg mixture into the case and sprinkle the grated cheese over evenly.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for about 35 minutes, remove and leave to cool to room temperature, serve.