Happy Easter Sunday Everyone!
I wanted to bake something nice for my mother in law as she’s had a bit of a rough time recently, and as her favourite sweet is Smarties and it’s Easter Weekend, this is what was produced. Think slightly caramel sponge flavour with a super crunchy smartie frosting. Yummy!
Perfect with a lovely cuppa.
Makes 12 large slices (or 24 smaller ones)
60g Butter, softened
250g Brown Sugar
1 tbsp vanilla essence
3 eggs, 1 egg yolk
250g Self Raising Flour
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
For the Frosting
60g butter, softened
200g icing sugar
1 tbsp Maple Syrup
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp milk
1 bag of Smarties eggs
- Preheat your oven to 175 deg. Line a 9 x 9 baking tin with baking paper.
- Add the butter to a large bowl and add in the brown sugar, mix together until light & Creamy. Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix through. Add in the flour, salt & baking powder, gently fold in until everything is combined. Spread into your baking tin. Bake for about 25 – 30 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- Meanwhile to make the frosting, cream the butter in a bowl and add the icing sugar (beware your worktops and everything around will be covered with icing sugar…lol!)
- Add the milk, maple syrup, vanilla and mix until combined.
- Using a rolling pin gently break down the smartie eggs until you have small pieces then add to the frosting mix and mix through. Refrigerate until needed, this helps thicken the frosting up.
- Once your cake has COMPLETELY cooled, top with frosting spreading evenly.
- Cut up into squares and serve. Yummy!
(These can be kept up to 4-5 days in fridge or 2 days at room temp.)