Easy & Quick Soda Bread. Sometimes you want homemade bread but don’t have time for the proving part, well this is made and baked in just 35 minutes.
Soda bread is risen with bicarbonate of soda, which, mixed with buttermilk, produces a distinctive and delicious flavour.
Makes 1 loaf
150ml White bread flour
150ml Wholemeal bread flour
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg.
- Lightly flour a baking tray.
- Place all dry ingredients into a bowl and add the butter, rub to make breadcrumb like mix.
- With your mixer on slow setting start to mix and add the buttermilk little at a time until you have a soft dough, you don’t want it too sticky or too moist. Be careful not to over mix though.
- Form the dough into a round ball and place onto the baking tray, gently with your hand, press down to flatten slightly and with a sharp knife make a cross shape about 1-2cm thick into the dough.
- Bake for about 30 minutes. Remove to a wire rack and allow to cool slightly. Serve.