I found this lovely little pot of Tutti Frutti Jam from The Artisan kitchen recently, so nothing better on a bank holiday weekend than to make a Victoria Sponge for afternoon coffee. The Flavours of this jam were absolutely delightful, APPLES, STRAWBERRIES, RASPBERRIES, BLACKCURRANTS, LEMON JUICE and ORANGE OIL………so fruity!
Basic Victoria Sponge:-
200g unsalted butter, softened
200g golden caster sugar
4 medium eggs
200g self raising flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
250ml double cream, whipped
1 vanilla pod
- Preheat oven to 170 deg. Grease 2 cake tins approx 20cm each.
- Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla together in a mixer
- Slowly beat in the eggs, 1 at a time.
- Gently fold in the flour, keeping as much air as possible. Don’t over mix.
- Divide the mixture between the cake tins evenly and bake for about 20 minutes or until a knife comes out clear. Allow to cool.
- Whisk the cream with the vanilla until you get stiff peaks.
- Spread the jam on top of one of the cakes then spread over the cream, sandwich with the other cake and sieve some icing sugar over the top. Serve! Yummy!