O.M.G…..I just had to try this. A Glasgow based Chippy called The Kents advertised beer battered square sausage a few weeks ago and it went viral, so yes of course, I had to try my own version. You really don’t get any more Scottish than this. It was surprisingly delicious.
For the Batter:-
125g Plain Flour
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp garlic granules
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
250ml Beer or Lager (I used Tennents to go all Scottish)
Sausages x 4 – preferably from your local butcher
4 tbsp flour to dust
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl then crack in the egg.
- Gently start to whisk together and slowly add in the beer/lager little at a time until you get a nice smooth, lump free batter. It should be runny but not too thin.
- Heat some oil in a pan. To tell the right temperature, drop a little of the batter in and if it gently starts to cook and turn brown then its hot enough.
- Dust each sausage with a little flour then dip into the batter.
- Gently drop the sausage into the oil and cook for about 8 minutes, don’t over cook or it will go rubbery.
- Serve on a lovely Scottish Morning Roll. Yummy!