Having some left over Masala Paste from the other nights curry, I wanted to try something different and a bit more healthier but filling, which means only 1 thing to me Lentils!
Lentils are so healthy and include all these beneficial nutrients like fibre, protein, minerals and vitamins, they are still low in calories and contain virtually no fat. One cup of cooked lentils only contains about 230 calories, but still leaves you feeling full and satisfied.
Makes for 2 large portions or 4 smaller portions if having with an accompaniment.
3 tbsp Masala Paste
1 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion – finely chopped
1 garlic glove – chopped
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tin of coconut milk – I use the lighter option to make it healthier
160g Red lentils, in my house it has to be Great Scot!
1 bag of fresh spinach (about 300g)
100ml vegetable stock
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion for a few minutes.
- Add in the masala paste and cook for another minute
- Add in the tomatoes and coconut milk then bring to the boil
- Pour in the lentils and reduce heat to a simmer, cook for about 25 mins until lentils are soft.
- Add in the stock, mix through then add in the spinach and allow to wilt for a minute.
- Remove and Serve…Yum!