Oh well, what can I say, these are simply delicious! Initially I was just going to make some cupcakes but decided to try the gooey centre and also tackle my first time at sugar work, which is something I’ve always wanted to try. The sugar work is definitely work in progress…lol!
For the Cupcakes:- Makes 8-10
1 Cup all purpose flour (about 100g)
1 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup good cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil or rapseed oil
1 tsp vanilla essence
- Pre-heat oven 180 deg C
- Place cake liners in a muffin tin.
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt to a large bowl and whisk through to combine.
- Add milk, oil, egg, and vanilla to flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined.
- Evenly distribute cake batter. Each cupcake liner should be about 3/4 full.
- Bake for about 12-15 mins or until a knife comes clean from centre.
- Remove and allow to cool completely.
For the Gooey Centre:- I decided to go with caramel but you can choose anything you like, I also cheated and just melted some caramel instead of making the real thing.
- I used some caramel curls and just added 1 tsp milk and melted in microwave. I also wanted to use my food colouring and decided to give it a nice pink colour….lol!
2. Once melted, I wanted it a bit thicker so whisked it up a bit until thick and creamy.
3. Once the cupcakes are cool, using a spoon, spoon out some of the centre of the cupcake.
4. Then using a tsp, spoon some of the caramel mixture into the holes.
Again I cheated slightly and used shop bought frosting but you can of course make your own if you have more time.
- Put frosting into a piping bag and then pipe on top to cover up the centre.
- And then simply serve and devour or if you like try my sugar work and make fancy toppings! see my post on Sugar work. sugar wor