Picking up my goodie bag again from the Glasgow Food Assembly on Monday, I got some lovely fresh Courgettes (Zucchinni to those of you that are from America) and some Red Russian Kale, with thanks to Locavore in Glasgow, the RR Kale is more tender and has a sweater flavour than the more traditional varieties. So what to do with it all…..well here goes, a nice wee spicy treat.
Red Russian Kale.
Makes 2 Boats
2 x Courgettes – Sliced in half longways
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 chilli – chopped (red or green)
1 small piece of ginger – finely chopped or grated
1/2 tsp turmeric
about 8 strands of kale
small handful of peas and sweetcorn (I used frozen)
Juice of 1 Lemon
1/2 tsp corinader
1 tbsp coconut (dessicated or fresh chopped)
1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Firstly preheat oven to 200 deg.
- Lightly brush the courgettes with olive oil and place in a baking tin or tray, season with salt & pepper.
- Oven bake for approx 30 mins or until turning slightly browned. Once roasted remove with a spoon the seeds. This of course could be done before hand, but I plan on mixing it with my kale mixture.
- Meanwhile, heat some olive oil in a fry pan.
- Sizzle the cumin and mustard seeds for approx 1-2 mins.
- Then add in the chilli, ginger and turmeric fry for another 2 mins.
- Add in the kale, peas and sweetcorn with a tbsp of water, Cover the pan and cook for 4-5 mins or until the kale has wilted.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice, coriander, sesame seeds and coconut, toss everything together and heat through for another minute.
- If mixing the courgette seeds add in now and then serve the mixture into the courgette halves.
A Yummy side dish with a little spice, nice and healthy or even a small lunch.