Having my breakfast this morning and sitting looking at the very wet and windy weather through the window, my thoughts were of feeling cosy and warm this afternoon, so I decided I wanted a nice bit of cake to go with my fresh warm coffee. Looking in my cupboards I saw Toffee Sauce and Chocolate and came up with this wee bit of delightful heaven. Cake, Coffee and a Comfy Couch on a rainy day, canny beat it!
Makes 15 squares
110g unsalted butter
105g Soft Brown Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
130g All purpose Flour
150g chocolate (dark or milk)
30g Pecans – chopped
1. Preheat oven to 180 deg.
2. Line a 20cm baking tin with foil and grease.
3. Mix with an electric mixer the butter, sugar and vanilla until smooth
4. Then mix in the flour and salt and mix until combined but not too stiff.
5. Pour mixture into the baking tin and with a spatula evenly spread out.
6. Place on middle shelf in oven for about 20 minutes until golden brown.
7. Meanwhile, chop up chocolate into small bits, and chop pecans too.
8. Once base is ready, pour chocolate bits evenly over and put back into oven for 1-2 mins until melted, remove and spread evenly.
9. Top with the pecans and allow to cool. Once cool put into fridge to set chocolate (approx 1 hour)
10. Cut into small squares and serve. YUMMY!
I had some toffee sauce and decided to drizzle over squares which added extra flavour.