I had some Pistachio’s in the cupboard and didn’t know what to do with them, so I made a cake! I still have 50g left and will try a topping for chicken through the week for something different.
My Pistachio Afternoon Cake – Serves approx 10-12
300g Self Raising/All purpose flour
1.5 tsp kosher Salt or table salt if you don’t have.
1 tsp baking powder
100g unsalted butter (room temp)
300g caster sugar
5 large eggs
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp fresh orange juice
2 tsp grated orange zest
1 tsp grated lime zest
150g unsalted shelled pistachio’s (75g un-shelled)
1. preheat oven to 160 deg.
2. Flour a baking tin and remove excess. Approx size 9x5x3 inch
3. Mix flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl, set aside.
4. Beat butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy, then add in the sugar and mix until well blended
5. Add in eggs, 1 at a time ensuring well blended, then add remaining juices (ie:lemon,lime,orange)
6. Now add the dry ingredients (flour mix) and mix.
7. Crush pistachio’s in a mixer until coarsely chopped, add in about 3/4 of pistachio’s and mix well in.
8. Pour mixture into baking tin and sprinkle remaining pistachio’s over top.
9. Bake in the oven for approx 1.5 hours or until knife comes out clean.