Diabetic Rolls – makes 20-24
400g all purpose flour
2 x 75g packs of dried active yeast
1 cup (150ml) fat free milk
35g butter (unsalted)
2 tsp salt
100g wholemeal flour
75g Rye flour
75g rolled oats
50g toasted wheatgerm
1 tbsp water
Sesame or poppy seeds or any seed of your choice
1. In a large mixing bowl combine 300g of the all-purpose flour and the yeast; set aside. In a medium saucepan heat and stir milk, honey, butter, and salt just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and butter almost melts; add to flour mixture along with the 2 eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl frequently. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Using a wooden spoon, stir in whole wheat and rye flours, the oats and the wheat germ. Stir in as much of the remaining all-purpose flour as possible.
2. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased large bowl; turn once to grease the surface of the dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (1 to 1- 1/2 hours).
3. Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 6 portions. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease 2 large baking sheets.
4. To shape, divide each portion of dough into four equal portions (to make 20-24 total portions). Shape each portion of dough into a ball by pulling dough and pinching underneath. Flatten and pull each ball to form a 4 x 1-1/2-inch oval. Place on prepared baking sheets. Using kitchen shears, make three slanted cuts about 3/4-inch deep on top.
5. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (30 to 45 minutes). Preheat oven to 190 deg (375F). In a small bowl combine the beaten egg and water. Brush tops of ovals with the egg mixture. Sprinkle each with sesame seeds and/or poppy seeds. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden. Remove rolls from pans. Cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
PER SERVING: 153 cal., 4 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 32 mg chol., 224 mg sodium, 26 g carb. (2 g fiber, 4 g sugars), 5 g pro.