250ml Red Burgandy Wine
1 red onion, sliced
6 Shallots, peeled Whole
2 Carrots, sliced
1 sprig fresh parsley or teaspoon dried parsley
2 bay leaf
1 glove garlic, crushed
3 whole black peppercorns
1 teaspoon salt
350-400g diced beef stewing steak (or equivalent)
1 tablespoon tomato puree
1/2 can chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon thyme
300ml beef stock
FOR CREAMY MASH:-
6 potatoes – maris piper or equivalent for mashing
100ml semi-skimmed milk
1 tablespoon butter
50ml cream or creme fraiche
1. For marinade:- In a large bowl combine the wine, red onion, carrots, parsley, bay leaf, garlic, peppercorns and salt. Mix well and add the diced beef. Cover and marinade in fridge for minimum 12 hours.
2. For the Bourguignon:- Strain the meat from the vegetables and marinade and pat dry with kitchen paper. Spray pan with oil and brown meat.
3. In same pan add in shallots and saute until lightly browned, add in marinade vegetables, tomato puree and chopped tomatoes and mix.
4. Gently add in marinade and beef stock with teaspoon of thyme, bring to the boil then simmer very gently (no. 2 on Induction hob) for approx 3 hours until meat is tender.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
1. Peel potatoes and bring to boil with pinch salt, then simmer for approx 20 mins.
2. Using masher, mash up and then pour in milk, butter and cream and mash together until creamy and light
3. Serve using potato scoop (or ice cream scoop).