ASSORSTED MERINGUES – makes about 18.
4 Large Egg Whites
115g Caster Sugar
115g Icing Sugar
Food Colouring (Optional)
Crushed Hazelnuts (Optional)
1. Pre-heat oven on Eco Cooking to 100 deg. Line baking trays with baking parchmont paper (don’t use tin foil or baking sheet as they will stick)
2. Break egg whites into a glass bowl and using a handheld whisk, whisk on medium speed until it resembles a fluffy cloud and has stiff peaks.
3. Turn up the speed and gradually mis in the sgar a little at a time, leaving about 5-6 seconds between each whisk. When ready the mixture should be thick and glossy (see picture above)
4. Sift 1/3 of the icing sugar in and using a rubber spatula fold in gently the icing sugar, and repeat until all icing has gone.
5. At this stage you can add any additional flavours or food colourings and fold in gently.
6. Using 2 dessert spoons gently ease a scoop onto the baking sheet or just drop them on.
7. Bake on levels 1 & 3 or 2 & 4 for about 1 3/4hrs – 2hrs. Meringues should sound hollow/ crisp when tapped on bottom, leave on rake to cool.
8. Serve like an Eton Mess with fresh berries (see picture) and some cream or put two together with some cream in the middle.
9. For the hazelnut version, melted some chocolate, pour over, whip some cream and sprinkle crushed hazelnuts on top. (picture to come)
Mmmmmmm………first attempt at these and they were perfect.